Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 14-07-2007 , 11:17 PM

please god somebody help me

user added image
above is the first model i started making. ive been working with maya for roughly 3 days and have been watching a tutorial by Kurt Boutilier as "guidlines" during the creation of this shark. the guys amazing, he makes it look so easy haha i hate that. i think it looks pretty good for the amount of experiencei have, which is like none.

anyway, i converted all of my shapes from nurbs to polys, then polys to subs, but then i tried to convert them back to poly's so i can "union" then but i cant, im not even sure im saying this right, i just want to group my tail, fins and body into 1 object so i can split it, and mirror the other side so its identical. when i try to union it gives me some bs error on the bottom and my cursor changes into a different mouse icon. also all the options that were in the box to the right have disappeared, where are they? gd im so frustrated... sorry im not even using the proper terminology for the tools either, im too noob to know them i guess

im using maya 8.5 btw. any help is appreciated. thanks in advance

# 2 14-07-2007 , 11:32 PM
Jr.Who
IÕve seen this beforeÉÉ What does it say in your SE (Script Editor (the box on the bottom left)) when you try to convert?

# 3 14-07-2007 , 11:37 PM
well by the looks of it im asuming its still in sub'd form, so when i try to convert to subs to poly's it says "//Error: Select a subdivision surface which you want to tessellate"

does it look like sub's to you too or am i way off?

# 4 14-07-2007 , 11:39 PM
Jr.Who
HmmÉÉ Seems like it is. Hit F8 so that it selects the object, and then post a pic.
user added image

# 5 14-07-2007 , 11:47 PM
user added image

o sweet i got that menu on the side back... cool

# 6 14-07-2007 , 11:48 PM
Jr.Who
It looks like it might be a poly thats been smoothed. This will go faster if you email me it. HereÕs my email:
JrWhoTheBest@comcast.net
user added image

# 7 14-07-2007 , 11:52 PM
awesome, you have mail. thanks !