Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-12-2003 , 06:56 PM

Do anyone know how to create planet Earth shader with city lights in a "night" side?

Hi!

I am ex-3dsmax user, and I am trying to create in Maya photorealistic planet Earth shader, with city lights in a "night" side of the planet. I'am mean 2 textures shader: one texture visible only in a "day" side of the shader and second texture visible ONLY (!!!) in a "nigh" side of the shader.

Just in 3dmax it's very simple: self-illumination->falloff->shadow/light; but in Maya... couple of weeks I can't find the answer to my question, and this is not a first Maya forum where I am asking to help.

Please if someone know a tutorial about it tell me, or gave me the right direction for my research.

P.S. Please, do not answer like "just use incandescence" (it's dosen't work); or "just use surfaceLuminance"; please explain HOW to use.

Thank you.

# 2 22-12-2003 , 10:11 PM
Subscriber
Alright, this took me 1 min to set up, if you get the hang of the node based structure it isn't too hard.
Check out the image I prepared. The ramp is just a ramp with white-black range (you need to tweak it to your preference). The grid is where you put your file node (I didn't have a good one handy). You then multiply the ramps out-value with the files and you input that into the incandescence. Hope it helps. (the stucco is just for some color)

edit. You should perhaps clamp the surfaceLuminance, I don't know what valuerange it has, but it seems to work fine without.

Attached Thumbnails

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.

Last edited by fredriksson; 22-12-2003 at 10:15 PM.
# 3 23-12-2003 , 01:37 PM
Thank you!

It's work great!

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 23-12-2003 , 01:43 PM
Subscriber
I have a good Earth Shader that you can download from Simply Maya (see the link in my signature)

I didn't include the night map in the released ZIP file; but if you want to play with it, here it is....

Attached Thumbnails

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 5 23-12-2003 , 01:43 PM