Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 27-01-2004 , 04:56 PM
Subscriber
Well this looks like a very well done 1st completed model raimZ. The top of the head looks pretty ok to me. The distance from eye's to chin is roughly same as eye's to the top of skull and you appear to be pretty close there. Good job.

# 17 27-01-2004 , 05:07 PM
Whatever floats your boat. Just by the way you talk I do not believe it. I really hate when someone fishes like this. Two weeks of 3D but you have worked 20 hours on this one ,not including the nurbs model that did not work out. You also did another head for spyderman and worked with lightwave. Do you have a life at all? It is not your atistic ability in question because I have seen people build great faces as early projects before. It is the geometry that clean after you Failed to learn Lightwave and do not even know how to render ( after hours of reading before you worked) I would say the model is great and you have learned to keap your geometry very clean but I see all you want is compliments.

# 18 27-01-2004 , 08:12 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by RickStefani
Whatever floats your boat. Just by the way you talk I do not believe it. I really hate when someone fishes like this. Two weeks of 3D but you have worked 20 hours on this one ,not including the nurbs model that did not work out. You also did another head for spyderman and worked with lightwave. Do you have a life at all? It is not your atistic ability in question because I have seen people build great faces as early projects before. It is the geometry that clean after you Failed to learn Lightwave and do not even know how to render ( after hours of reading before you worked) I would say the model is great and you have learned to keap your geometry very clean but I see all you want is compliments.

Dude I don't know what your problem is and others. He said this is his 1st project and it took him 20 hrs. What don't you get about that.

# 19 27-01-2004 , 09:13 PM
If this is your fourth model, not your first like in the title it is still very good. If it was your 20th it is still coming along very well. I just hate the attitude. You did not even keap your own story straight. It just felt like, look at me, see how great I am. Sorry for the comments and I will keap them to myself now. I would say you have to develope the detail on the tear duct part of the eye. The ear also seems a touch small.

# 20 29-01-2004 , 08:24 AM
If this is the 1st model, I wonder what will be next... user added image
Welcome to SM

# 21 06-02-2004 , 09:10 AM
Well technically he said:

i'm a noob to maya, and well anything to do with 3d modelling. wanted to learn using maya, as a hobby, after being inspired watching the lord of the rings ext. dvds.

this here is my first model.

While I can see that the head still needs some work, I am a bit skeptical that this is a first attempt EVER at modeling. Simply Maya is filled with first attempts and none are yet to come even close to the quality of model you have here.

While I should take more of a governing side here and tell everyone else to back off and let you continue, another part of me tells me that something just isn't right.

So, please, for the sake of pleasing everyone here and saving yourself from further flameage, can you please post a wireframe and a screenshot of your Maya workspace? That, I think, would solve a lot of issue for you.

But... If it is actually your very first model and you actually can produce such an image, then I can't wait to see what you do later on. user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu

# 22 06-02-2004 , 12:22 PM
Kevin
welcome to sm mate and great image!

# 23 06-02-2004 , 01:04 PM
You started 3d modelling from scrach two weeks ago and produced a mesh that clean?. I'm not buying it.
If you had never even thought of 3d modelling or knew any of the concepts behind 3d, it would take you alot longer than 2 weeks just to even figure out the basic modelling interface.

BTW, it's a great piece of work all the same. I didn't notice anything wrong with the forehead

# 24 06-02-2004 , 01:13 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Clod
You started 3d modelling from scrach two weeks ago and produced a mesh that clean?. I'm not buying it.
If you had never even thought of 3d modelling or knew any of the concepts behind 3d, it would take you alot longer than 2 weeks just to even figure out the basic modelling interface.

BTW, it's a great piece of work all the same. I didn't notice anything wrong with the forehead

some ppl work faster than others, there are those eager to learn and spending 10+hrs in front of their workstation, and there are other who put off wips in their to do pile... and then finding out they actually had a "to do" pile weeks later. (like me :-)

# 25 06-02-2004 , 01:42 PM

Originally posted by vladimirjp
some ppl work faster than others, there are those eager to learn and spending 10+hrs in front of their workstation, and there are other who put off wips in their to do pile... and then finding out they actually had a "to do" pile weeks later. (like me :-)

So you are buying it? A guy who didn't know what a vertex was two weeks ago produces that as his first head... If so he's the greatest noobie ever.

# 26 06-02-2004 , 01:46 PM
The Maya Mountain
Are we STILL talking about this? C'mon now, don't make me close the thread.

# 27 06-02-2004 , 02:04 PM
Subscriber
I'm a noob too and I love what you've done there. Amazing first model... I wish I could produce something half as good!

It's also a great render. Is that software or Mental ray?

That'll do donkey... that'll do...

# 28 06-02-2004 , 02:22 PM
Subscriber
hear, I might clear this up a little. The dragon I did, that is in my WIP thread now being used for something else, was ONLY my second model ever and I won that challenge also. This is possible. I will happily post a picture of the final render of it.

# 29 06-02-2004 , 05:53 PM
Subscriber
if your first model or not, doesn't matter, you did a very nice job on it and being new myself I commend it. If you could point me in the direction of the tutorial by John Grimes I would appreciate it. Keep up the good work.

# 30 06-02-2004 , 06:09 PM
I'm inclined to agree with everyone about the whole "it's too good for a noob" ubt I also agree about the people advance at different rates. The thing that bugs me about it is that there are too many subtle details for a noob. E.g. The very small details that define the mouth area and the general cleaness of the mesh. If it is a first model congrats on a job well done, but if it's not and you're fishing for compliments then you're really only cheating yourself it doesnt bother me whether it's your 1st or 100th model.

We'll just have to wait for the next project (or the progression of this one) to truly judge the ability and talent of this "noob" user added image One good model doesnt make a good modeller

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB