SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

Home / forum / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / Duplicate Special wont obey
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Thread

Old 19-09-2017, 03:44 AM   #1
liquidcactus

Default Duplicate Special wont obey

Hello, I tried pretty hard to fix this issue by searching existing results here without posting a new thread but that was a confusing fail so here I am.

I am modeling a fighter plane. Tutor instructs to use duplicate special to mirror one side of the plane. I dupe special one half of the plane
Put everything to Geo type: instance. Group under: parent. Translate: 0 Rotate: 0. Scale: x-1

After I dupe special and try to work on it the 2 separate pieces of plane act independent of each other.and the work i do does not affect both pieces.

Other uses posts i checked here with the same kind of problem had these suggestions from others that i tried to fix my own problem.

Tried deleting history
made sure everything set to 0 and centered to grid.
Move settings: axis orientation set to world
make sure retain component spacing is un checked
Mirroring geo/poly does not not work because you cant work on both sides of plane at the same time after.

There is some other ideas i tried that were suggested but i cant remember them all as this is rather confusing

Thanx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maya dupe issue.JPG (258.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg dupe spec options.JPG (35.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by liquidcactus : 19-09-2017 at 02:24 PM.
liquidcactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
Gen

Since I can't see your scene, I can't really say what's the problem. Or maybe I'm just not being very observant. Anyway, mirroring poly can work fine since the modeling toolkit has a symmetry feature so there's that option.
::|| My Maya FAQ ||::
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 03:15 AM   #3
liquidcactus

Thanx for the response Gen, I uploaded 2 pics aswell. i think i solved it on my own accord.. this maya journey is going to be a hell of a ride ^_^
I think i was over thinking the problem. i just went mesh > combine. I thought the issue was a lot worse than first thought.
Old 26-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #4
liquidcactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
Since I can't see your scene, I can't really say what's the problem. Or maybe I'm just not being very observant. Anyway, mirroring poly can work fine since the modeling toolkit has a symmetry feature so there's that option.
Hi Gen,
Ok, i take back what i said about solving the problem i have. After i combine both halfs of the plane i no long have the power of modding one half so it effects the opposite side. Everything in my first post is still relevant to the selected options I'm using aswell.
New Thread