Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-06-2004 , 12:17 AM

compression????

hey, i'm building my website and i have a couple of movies which i would want to display at the click of a button. When the user clicks onto the button, i was hoping that a window would open up and a movie would play. My question is, would anyone know of a good compression for the web????? I'm using sorenson3 for my movies. I'm rendering at sorenson3 at 25%, 320x240, 2500frames, (cannot shorten them anymore), which equals to about 15MB, 16MB. Does anyone know of a better compression for the web???? Like for instance, what compression does like apple.com website uses??? Any suggestions at all. I hope this isn't a stupid question, but thanks in advance.

Thanks
strytus

# 2 13-06-2004 , 01:00 AM
I use Sorenson 3 encoded Quicktime movies for my website. I set the quality to anywhere between 65-70%, depending on what is in the footage. Then I limit the data rate to around 90-150 K/sec. This part does sacrifice some quality, but it is adjustable so you can tweak it to your liking.

For something that is 2500 frames long, you're still going to get a pretty hefty file. You're just going to have to bite the bullet and make it large download. One way to cut it down is to reduce the frame rate (i.e. use 15 fps instead of 30 fps). Yes, you'll lose some smoothness to the motion, but if you want a small file, you'll have to make some sacrifices.

Realistically, as long as you warn the user that the download is large, they'll be fine with it. Just make sure the animation is worth waiting for. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 13-06-2004 , 01:38 AM
thank you so much... this was the kind of exact answer i was looking for.. and my website will be up within days.. thank you again