Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-02-2007 , 11:39 AM

Particle Problem

Hi,

I'm trying to work on a project for school and I wanted to throw in something from Realflow since I think it's a really cool program. The problem is, when I export any particle I make in Realflow to Maya 8 and try to render using mental ray, only the object the particles were held in renders; like a wine glass I've been using. I never see the rendered particles. I tried switching to Maya Software and Hardware to see if it was just a problem with mental ray but so far I've had no luck.

I'm really confused and would like to render a still image with a visible fluid in it. Can someone help me ASAP please?
Thanks.

# 2 03-02-2007 , 12:15 PM
Subscriber
Hello there Hoshi,

From my experience with Realflow, particles are best suited to gas/fire efffects and dust. To do a good looking fluid, you want to export to a poly mesh. Realflow still uses particles to calculate where the poly mesh will be, but you render a mesh in maya, as opposed to 100s of 1000s of particles. Which, if you think about it is the way that real liquid behaves - it's a solid unbroken surface whose movement is controlled by the interactions of the molecules that make it up with one another an objects in the world surrounding it.

Here's a link to the tute I used to get started, I realise it's for MAX, but it's really not all that important. It's the concepts and workflow that are the key to success here.
Realflow 'liquid into a Wineglass tute'

Hope this helps explain it all.
S.

# 3 03-02-2007 , 09:28 PM
Thanks so much! I'll give this a try today.