Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 61 11-06-2007 , 02:17 PM
Cheers Jay

I'll havea bit of a tweek to sort it out as they are a little sharp, I also need to add some non symetrical bits to him, just need to get the bits that I need.

I'm not happy with a few areas, only problem would be i'd probably never get past the modeling stage!

Cant wait to get the displacements/bumps/colours from Z into maya and give the SSS shader a proper go.

With outlaws, no probs, i'm enjoying it, great work.

Another thing with the registering you can get a sort of feel as to how many people are interested in it.

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 62 12-06-2007 , 01:41 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Steve,

Yeah absolutely, the irony is that not that many have registered, but the hit count is doing VERY well. The whole thing is like 4 pages with 3 of those being the main story, and the hits are like 14,000 so far this month. Which for me is good. The end of last month shot up to over 24,000, and that was on the last two days or so. Someone likes it, though Im still trying to get it promoted on other sites right now as 3d comics are very rare and seldom done very well. So Im kind of on my own out there until it takes off. A lot of hard work still to come.

Check out www.thedreamlandchronicles.com its by a guy called Scott Sava. Its all 3d with nice renders, but the style has more of a cartoony feel to it. The guy has been around for a while and is well known in the comic industry. He was approached by Marvel to do a series of Spidey comics in 3d after the first movie came out. They did very well and sold loads, but I feel the style and rendering were a bit below par. Check it out on the aforementioned site, he should have a link there to his bluedream studios site.

Theres hope for me yet!!

Anyway enough about me LOL. Do, try and finish this model, I always consider it to be a waste of time otherwise. So many dudes on here jump from one to the next because of boredom. So it will be good to see this done. If you need any help on the SSS shader gimme a shout I have some good links and tutes on Setup for it. You wont be disappointed with it, it really is a good shader. Even in the standard MR renderer does a bang up job, you dont need to worry about FG, GI, BBC or channel 4 for it ya know LOL..anyways later

Cheers
Jay

# 63 12-06-2007 , 01:56 AM
Just had a look at the link, had a bit of a read of it, looks pretty good from what ive seen.

I think that if you put a nice big register here for updates on your site it should get more people into registering, as its a bit out of the way at the mo, and hard to find.

I'm taking my time with the model as I dont want to go all out and loose the enthusiasm, ive got lots of maya stuff to do at uni at the mo that i'm head scratching about!

I will finish it off just a matter of time, might have a bot of a bash later on today.

# 64 12-06-2007 , 03:09 AM
Subscriber
Hey Steve,

How's it going?

I don't think that I've actually posted to your thread yet which is peculiar as I have been keeping an eye on it!

I've got to say that you're doing a sterling job with ZBrush, I still haven't got my head around its UI! Is this the first model you've attempted in Z?

Keep it up,

Mat.

# 65 12-06-2007 , 04:44 AM
No probs Mat

Its the first in Z3, and my second proper go in Zbrush, I sculpted some detials for the challenge that I took part in a few months back (the grim Reaper model that I did, for his cloak) which was the frist "real" time I used Z brush 2 other than messing in it and doing a few tutorials, I used it mainly for texturing organic objects as its easy to get to grips with.

I decided to make a "generic male head" that I was going to sculpt in Z brush 2 to get to grips with it, but in the time I was making the head I got my upgrade to Z3 and though why not, gives me a chance to get used to the different tools available, I then decided to make it actualy resemble someone so chose Mr Willis

Heres a bit of an update, ive smoothed the nostrils andstarted to mis match the left and the right to get some character in there, theres a bit of smoothing to be done on the chin as I took a screengrab and then noticed it.

Attached Thumbnails