Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-03-2003 , 05:30 AM

ALL THE CARTOON PRODUCTIONS

i`de like to know if the cartoon animated series are made in tradition animation way or what software are used..

# 2 21-03-2003 , 06:06 AM
The Maya Mountain
I'd imagine the 2D cartoons are done traditionally. Except for maybe South Park. :p

# 3 21-03-2003 , 06:45 AM
Depends on the show, really. Some use "traditional" hand-drawn techniques, others are using more digital productions. And, yes, then there's South Park. Last I heard, they used Maya.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 4 21-03-2003 , 07:54 AM
Realy?? Wow. Crapy maya!

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 5 22-03-2003 , 01:28 AM
Subscriber
some cartoons are given a specific look, so it doesnt really matter which software is used because if ur aiming for sumthing like south park, any software will do really user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 6 22-03-2003 , 04:13 AM
Subscriber
this is true, but does anybody have any clue how they set up their shaders?

# 7 22-03-2003 , 11:36 AM
but what is South park?

# 8 22-03-2003 , 01:02 PM
Subscriber
south park is a comedy cartoon which takes the piss out off people and world events, its really just a massive joke but its very funny

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 9 22-03-2003 , 04:12 PM
Subscriber
i dont really like it

i like cartoon type shaders in 3d programs, try using a lambert with a ramp cos otherwise youd have specularity which you dont want

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 10 22-03-2003 , 04:33 PM
Subscriber
Yup... I like it sometimes, I don't like it sometimes.

the artistic technique is what I'm curious about.

I was really surprised to hear it was done in Maya.

It's really simple, flat 2d animation... So I'd love to look at their scene files and see what they are doing to make it look like that.

Are they just a taking semi-flat sphere and stretching and scaling it to make mouth movements?

If you are curious about it the web page is:
https://www.southparkstudios.com/

# 11 22-03-2003 , 10:02 PM
i think it was just a joke that southpark is made in maya....

# 12 22-03-2003 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
https://www.mayaassociation.fsbusines...-southpark.htm

South Park Productions uses MAYA for the 100 plus episodes of their Comedy Central 30 minute Southpark TV series and used it for the big screen cinema movie version Southpark Bigger, Longer and Uncut.

"For software, the animation is done using Alias/Wavefront MAYA. The storyboard artists do the initial boards manually, then once those are approved they build digital versions of the various objects into MAYA. Whenever we have to do composite (multi-layered) shots, we use Alias' Composer package" Said Sean, System Administrator, "The decision to go CG was made because they had evaluated the potential problems in coordinating it manually (anybody seen Cartman's 'ee' mouth?). After much consideration, it was decided that, in order to build a functional production system, the computer route was the only way to go. The technical directors also decided to go with Alias/Wavefront MAYA. One of its major selling points was the quality of its renderer. As it turns out, getting the shading and texturing to appear like construction paper shot under an overhead light is nowhere near as easy as it sounds. Alias, in their opinions, did it best."

"By creating flat characters and backgrounds in a 3D environment, we are able to add textures and lighting effects that give the film a cut-out construction paper stop-motion style which would have taken many more months if done traditionally," said Gina Shay, line producer.

# 13 23-03-2003 , 01:05 AM
# 14 23-03-2003 , 02:16 AM
Subscriber
Yeah! That's what I thought too... Who would have guessed looking at it.