Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 196 07-12-2007 , 03:57 AM
Subscriber
Cheers for your thoughts Mirek.

I've chosen to use this particular walk cycle because it gives an air of self importance (even if he is just a supernatural janitor), he's in no rush after all.

The action you suggest puts me in mind of the original Nosferatu movie, there's great movement in that but it's not what I'm after in the end product here. Creeping would and reaching out would suggest that he's a predator character which doesn't suit my thoughts.

In my mind the Death "character" isn't a malevolant one seaching for it's unsuspecting prey, his quarry is already determined and as such he knows exactly when to arrive to collect the soul (or whatever) of the departed.

I like your idea of Death and it would work great in a different animation but I'm happy with how I have him moving now and won't be making any major changes to him before it's finished.

I'll hopefully have an update of the ward scene posted before Christmas. After a truly hectic fortnight I'm having a few days off before I install myself infront of Maya again.

I need to get the animation on this finished (or as close as) by the end of January so once I get back into it updates should eb much more frequent.

Cheers for checking in,

Mat.

edit: I forgot to ask Mirek, where was the tutorial you saw and do you have a link to it?

Cheers.

# 197 07-12-2007 , 04:05 AM
Subscriber
well its nice to have such a clear view of your character.., and with that in mind.., you certainly have done some geat work.

on a side note, my uni got maya in for the first time this year.., just the year im leaving.., ?? 4 years.., i aint going back.., its false hope but a nice dream (there one is going places.., when ou leave it all seems to mean little, the dregrees are nice though??).., as an animator.., at this stage you have a chance., as film maker..?? may I as well have a degree in pop star.., though having said that.., i could make a nice movie with the people, time and money.., theres still hope.., theres always stil hope user added image

gnomon digital sets US $99

take it easy and life will be easy

Last edited by mirek03; 07-12-2007 at 04:09 AM.
# 198 07-12-2007 , 04:53 AM
Subscriber
heres a quick look, just a lambert shader.., default settins

Attached Thumbnails

# 199 07-12-2007 , 04:55 AM
Subscriber
btw, i just bung this together in about 15 min

heres what it looks like.., youll get the picture prett quick.., fast render too.., maya software.

Attached Thumbnails

# 200 07-12-2007 , 05:55 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Mirek,

I'll definately try this out when I get back to working on it. Any chance of posting the second screen (the one with the attributes etc.) to my e-mail address so I can see it properly?

Cheers,

Mat.

# 201 07-12-2007 , 05:50 PM
Subscriber
ill try better than that.., but at the least, you will get the screen grab.., can i use the PM from here.., i think your address is gone, wiped, maybe not (im on the mac).., when i rebuilt the PC.

the set is twice the size of the grid and the intensity of the cubic (do that on creation) piont lights is 150

i should have used the light linker to unlink the wallls, i didnt want them touched, looks like too many light sources, should unlink the pionts and add a directional so the light is on the same page so to speak (coming from one place, unless there are windows, blah blah, you know what i mean)

Last edited by mirek03; 07-12-2007 at 05:55 PM.
# 202 11-12-2007 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for sending that Mirek,

I'll have a play with the lighting later. For now I've decided to have a break rom the ward scene as it doesn't feel like I'm moving the film forward so I'm going to be modelling the other objects that I need and then get back to animating.

I've made a start today with a chess set, more updates to come soon.

Cheers to everyone for all of your support and feedback so far, not much longer until it's done (WOO-HOO!).

Later,

Mat.

# 203 11-12-2007 , 10:03 PM
Subscriber
ahem..... I forgot the image..... sorry.

Here it is.....

Attached Thumbnails
# 204 12-12-2007 , 07:31 PM
good progress matt user added image
when's it to be completed by?

I've got a date for my final stuff for the end of february (at last) but that includes getting all the bits for a trade show and writing yet another report

Looking forward to seeing the other bits develop
Simon

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 205 12-12-2007 , 08:03 PM
Subscriber
Cheers Si,

I think it has to be done by February 14th, I'm not sure when I have to make my presentation not long after submition I should think. I should really be working on it today but I've just had to endure Sheffield (last minute shopping) with a killer hangover and a 2 year old in a buggy, no energy left for work!!

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 206 13-12-2007 , 09:38 AM
ouch! not good user added image
but hey, hopefully it'll all be done now user added image

Simon

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 207 13-12-2007 , 10:31 AM
Subscriber
theres a very good uni in england that has a rep for 3D.., Bournmoure or something like that.., is that the uni you are in.., ive watched your progress and its FAST.., over the last couple of years you have improved radically

it must be a geat feeling user added image

# 208 13-12-2007 , 07:00 PM
Subscriber
Yeah Si,

not good but it is done now, woo-hoo!

Mirek, I think you mean Bournemouth, I've heard they do good things but I'm at the University of Bradford....I guess it begins with a "B"!!

Cheers for the compliment, I guess I've learnt a whole load of stuff while I've been at uni but I don't really notice it myself as I always seem to be focused on one small part of the whole. I'm happy with my progress and feel as though I'm pushing my knowledge with this animation which can only be a good sign, I just hope that there's a job out there for me in a few months time!!

Take it easy everyone and have a smashing Christmas,

Mat user added image

# 209 13-02-2008 , 06:02 AM
Subscriber
Okey dokey,

Here's a link to my animation, apologies for not keeping the thread updated but my schedule became very tight towards the end and I didn't really have the time to make posts.

Anyway, I got it finished and submtted on time which is cool.

Here's the link...

DEATH:Nell (it's about 60Meg so I'd recommend right click and save rather than streaming)

OK, enjoy the show and let me know what you rekon,

Mat user added image

# 210 13-02-2008 , 06:32 AM
ha ha - well done mat - this came out really good - very spooky and strange - really love your use of sound effects - the door disintegrating especially - and music - the girl from ipanema was just right for the waiting room scene. the editing was great too and the animation had a good flow to it that worked well with the characters.

Really well done mate - glad to see you got this finished in time. Now it's time to celebrate!

user added image user added image user added image