Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 46 12-05-2004 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber
I just went to a demo put on by Alias last night. Man 6 looks killer!

The Mental Ray renderer supports Hair and Fur and everything now so you can GI and FG all that stuff.

Also one of my favorite parts was the Geometry Mirroring. Our demo guy made an entire Ifel Tower out of a simple 3 sided curve and then duplicated and mirrored it with the new feature. It was awesome.

Also the fact that deformation lattices now have fall off so that your objects (be them geometry or particles) don't freak out when the leave the lattice, but rather they just continue to either decrease or increase in magnitude. Really way cool.

Also the Photoshop integration is tight! Really nice stuff you can do with that.

Let's see what else.... oh yea, Paint Effects now supported on Polys and the animation parameters of Paint Effects is enhanced.

Just too much cool stuff! I think I need to lie down.

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
:: Dr. Emmett Brown
# 47 12-05-2004 , 02:39 PM
Subscriber
Is it me or Alias just forgot to add a link for the upgrade in their online store ?

Nir Sullam
Architectural Visualizations Page: www.orvatsel.com/index2.html
Maya Page: www.orvatsel.com/maya
www.nirsullam.com
# 48 13-05-2004 , 02:31 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by sjurick
I just went to a demo put on by Alias last night. Man 6 looks killer!

The Mental Ray renderer supports Hair and Fur and everything now so you can GI and FG all that stuff.

Also one of my favorite parts was the Geometry Mirroring. Our demo guy made an entire Ifel Tower out of a simple 3 sided curve and then duplicated and mirrored it with the new feature. It was awesome.

Also the fact that deformation lattices now have fall off so that your objects (be them geometry or particles) don't freak out when the leave the lattice, but rather they just continue to either decrease or increase in magnitude. Really way cool.

Also the Photoshop integration is tight! Really nice stuff you can do with that.

Let's see what else.... oh yea, Paint Effects now supported on Polys and the animation parameters of Paint Effects is enhanced.

Just too much cool stuff! I think I need to lie down.

Our D.C. area demo is on the 26th. It's a Maya 6/Shrek 2 event!! We get to see a short demo on Maya 6 (tailored towards the free movie). So far I'm happy with 6. Many people complain that it should be a 5.2 or 5.5 release as they expected more. I can't be happier.. but some people can't be pleased enough when new products come out.

You can teach to ignorance, but you have to slap out stupidity.
# 49 13-05-2004 , 03:37 PM
Subscriber
sjurick was that the Atlanta event you attended?

# 50 19-05-2004 , 11:16 AM
Subscriber
Yes it was.

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
# 51 19-05-2004 , 02:47 PM
Subscriber
I wonder if I talked to you that night.

# 52 20-05-2004 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber
I was on the right side, probably 2 or 3 rows back on the inside (towards the center isle). I don't remember talking to anyone though except the person next to me, who was a woman. Ring any bells?

# 53 20-05-2004 , 02:02 AM
Subscriber
well, I was doing the Maya demo. Talked to many people that night. Im really glad you enjoyed it.

# 54 20-05-2004 , 10:47 AM
Subscriber
Oh, then I was the one that asked about the Hypershade icons being aligned user added image Very nice demo!

# 55 20-05-2004 , 12:10 PM
Subscriber
HAHA! Now I remember. very cool! What a small world.