Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 05-06-2011 , 03:12 AM
Subscriber

flickering Animation

Hey!

Does anybody knows about how to setup Mental Ray to get flicker free Animations, with the use of indirect Illumination technics like FG or GI!?

Found a good tut for camera fly animations, but whats about moving objects in the scene!?

I think thats a really unchartet topic!

every help is really welcome, since I have a job with exactly that issue! user added image

Thank you

# 2 05-06-2011 , 10:46 AM
The Nurb Herd
why do you need to light with FG?

# 3 05-06-2011 , 05:21 PM
Subscriber
Indirect Illumination Technics like Final Gather or/with Global Illumination provides the most realistic light contribution to your scene. There are several technics to fake that illumination, but for the architectural Visualisations, totaly unsuitable!! There is often used ies Data or elumdat light profiles, who treat the used lights as the were real world lights. This profiles are provided by the manufactorers of lights.

This was an example of the need of those Methods, because they mimic in order of proper shader use, the real world behavior of light, such as indirect light rays, color bleeding, energie contribution, caustics(a similar Shading technic), ie

And it makes smoother results and so on and so forth... but this is over the top to explain, for this thread!

I do render since a few jears and I´m really not an beginner, but this special topic is an really unknown issue of mine.
In the learning paths you can go through, there is really nothing good about that!
For that reason this secondary a question to the SM TEam!!

CAN YOU MAKE A REALLY DETAILED TUTORIA, ABOUT THAT TOPIC??? I do buy directly two of them!! user added image

Are there any advices out there!?!??

greets!

# 4 05-06-2011 , 06:02 PM
The thin red line

# 5 05-06-2011 , 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

- Genny
# 6 05-06-2011 , 08:35 PM
The Nurb Herd
Well baking FG points is rather simple answer to this question. Its a bit of a beginners question and it comes up a lot.
As it happens i did some arch vis last weekend. I started with physical sun and sky which uses FG automatically. It was designed for arch vis so i thought it was a good place to start. However, I found it a bit crap. The reason i was asking is that you don't need to use final gather for everything. Lots of beginners fall back on final gather because its easy to get reasonable results quickly. however it creates other problems like the one you face.
As you are such an expert in rendering, why don't you try the bent normals technique? it would be a lot faster.

# 7 06-06-2011 , 02:53 PM
Subscriber
Hey Dave, Genny, Honestdom!
Thank you, for your advices! They are all helpfull in there way!

But how do you do it!? I read often, that people do google for me, but that is after the help the first thing, what I do! user added image

Hey Honestdom,
when I was really such an expert, why I should wrote that Thread!? I did never worte that I´m an expert! I wrote that I do render since a few years!
And my only cup is, that I have rendered Images on cgsociety, who was acceptet as art! user added image

And especially indor scenes aren´t easy to handle, when it comes to animation, with moving, defoming objects! When you add participating Media and you create real Atmospheres and you try to create some outstanding stuff, then I can´t belive that the second choice Methods are the common way! How does Pixar or ILM with those first Masterpiece in Animation Rango it!? Please do not make me feel that I had choosen the wrong job! Which was from the begining to today my passion!

Its not a topic of self effort, for some kinds of 3d art! The real Killer tips ar hidden Stuff, wich aren´t self pastet! When you want become an outstanding artist, you are reliant on other professionals!

Probably you want share something...