Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-02-2007 , 09:47 AM
Subscriber

interior room

I saw kurts tutorial on interior rooms. and decided to built the same room with a few changes. I have only one light in the scene to show how every thing looks so far. I used some bumps on the floor but everything else is just plain texturing. I am going to make it a night scene, that why I added the window.What do you think so far.

Last edited by banksta; 02-02-2007 at 10:01 AM.
# 2 02-02-2007 , 10:04 AM
Subscriber

interior room

I just updated the pic

******EDIT***************

dave_baer wrote:

banksta wrote:
I saw kurts tutorial on interior rooms.

Great! But obviously you missed the sticky thread at the top of this forum on how to post pics. Might wanna check that out.

******EDIT***************

# 3 02-02-2007 , 10:11 AM
Modeling seems ok, but that blue is totally unrealistic, nothing is that blue in real life.

# 4 02-02-2007 , 10:24 AM
Subscriber

interior scene

I see what you mean on the blue I lightened it up to contrast the couch and chairs.

****EDIT********

Again... Read the sticky post.

****EDIT********

# 5 02-02-2007 , 10:26 AM
Subscriber

interior scene

I left the chairs and the couch the same color because I have chairs that are really that color.

# 6 02-02-2007 , 12:34 PM
Subscriber
nah.

Never seen anyone paint the walls blue like that and paint the ceiling the same color PLUS have the same color chairs. Yes walls can be blue and yes chairs can be blue and in some sick world, the ceiling can be blue.

But never will all 3 be blue at the same time. The render is totally unrealistic as the lighting and materials need to be worked on more. I take it you are using the default maya software to render with.

Your modeling is decent but the lighting and materials throw the room for a loop. If you want to make it more realistic, work on your renders, learn mental ray at least and do some research online (google some pics of interiors) then mimick those in 3D.

I work as an archi designer in 3D and if you do these things, you'll be on the right track. Keep it up.

D3D

# 7 02-02-2007 , 05:04 PM
Subscriber

Re: interior scene

Originally posted by banksta
I see what you mean on the blue I lightened it up to contrast the couch and chairs.

****EDIT********

Again... Read the sticky post.

****EDIT********

Sorry dave I didn't see it before I will post at 640 x 480 for now on.

# 8 03-02-2007 , 04:46 AM
So can we see some renders? I don't see what the huge deal is anyway with some other threads hosting massive pics without comment...

# 9 06-02-2007 , 05:20 PM
yea i wouldn't mind seeing some renders.

Accept no substitutions.
# 10 07-02-2007 , 08:30 AM
Subscriber

interior room

sorry fellas I had another project going that why I had not put up any renders. I decided to go with a day scene. any suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 07-02-2007 , 08:31 AM
Subscriber

interior room

I was thinking I would put a light fog through the window.

# 12 07-02-2007 , 08:36 AM
That's definitely an improvement, the blue looks more realistic now.

# 13 07-02-2007 , 03:03 PM
well this is just a personal opinion, but there is quite a bit of space taken out of the wall for such a small fireplace. i think it would look better if the fireplace weren't confined to that small square area, but instead to the area where the last indentation starts. also it didn't catch me til i was paying attention to the way you lit your scene that it does look kind of odd to see no light fixtures. with the style of the room, track lighting or recessed lights along the right side wall would look pretty good. are there textures on the window frame? it looks slightly gray but i can't tell if that's default texture or if you actually created a texture for it.

also, most of the textures seem to have the same flat feel like they're all lamberts. there aren't really all that many highlights on areas i would think would have them: the candle holders, the vases, chair armrests? (i must say i dislike trying to write a reply, wanting to go back and see the picture, and it's not on the page you're writing on) i think i remember the floor had a speckled reflection to it. it's at least a variance.

Accept no substitutions.
# 14 07-02-2007 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber

interior room

Thanks for all the suggestions guys I will keep working on it. I just bought a dvd at gnomon on lighting and texturing, to help me build on what I already know. I really appreciate the input. The school I go to only offers so many classes on 3d animation and the rest of the classes I had were audio and video. I believe I got screwed. I am coming around though on my modeling and starting to pay more attention to detail. I have found out the more I practice with modeling in maya the better I get. People told me 3d max is easier, but my school started me off with maya and I am trying to master that first. Any suggestions you give will be helpful. I will be graduating soon and feel like the school has not prepared me enough for the competition I will be facing for jobs, so I am working hard everyday to get to a certain skill level. I have come along way from 6 months ago, light years away from a year and a half ago when I first touched maya.