Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 30-07-2007 , 03:51 PM
Subscriber

3D DRAGON animated for 2D movie

i'm a 2D animator by profession, and in a project i made for fun in a series called the PALADIN, episode 5 demanded the appearance of a dragon, made of bone

i thaught rather then drawing him, and REdrawing him (bone dragon = forever 2 draw) i'd pick up my 3D act and make him in 3D, and render him with vector rendering!

here are some topics i started ages ago to get help with making parts of him:

CLICK HERE
AND HERE
AND HERE TOO

and here is the youtube finished animation (dragon appears at 1:40)

CLICK HERE

# 2 30-07-2007 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber
Nice one Josiaha,

you've integrated the dragon really nicely with the 2D animation.

Two thumbs up,

Mat.

# 3 31-07-2007 , 02:19 PM
Subscriber
Incredible job. It fit right in with the rest of the animation. I wish i had accomplished so much by that age.

# 4 07-08-2007 , 02:24 AM
Subscriber
Yeah the dragon worked quiet well to say ... so did you do paladin all by yourself?

keep up the good work matey,

Cheers
Marlon

# 5 08-08-2007 , 01:46 PM
nice work user added image

You think you know, but you have no idea
# 6 01-09-2007 , 04:22 PM
Excellent! user added image

I'm a huge fan of hybrid animations using 2D and 3D to produce real quality. Nice model and very well intergrated. I've watched this series on NewGrounds since episode one and understand how hard it can be sometimes to incorporate 2D with 3D with Flash. I myself have used Maya in flash projects and the like.

'Sup Jono.
# 7 14-09-2007 , 04:44 PM
what program did you use for the anime? after-effects, flash?

anyways it was very good but the music made it hard to hear what they were saying

# 8 14-09-2007 , 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Bluecow
what program did you use for the anime? after-effects, flash?

anyways it was very good but the music made it hard to hear what they were saying

That mini series has always been animated in Flash. Although After Effects is good for big productions that will go onto a CD, it can be hard to compress AVI down to that size and still look like vector.

'Sup Jono.
# 9 23-09-2007 , 11:39 AM
Hey man, kewl flash work ya got there! But you might want to consider better sound mixing. The music is overpowering the dialogue.

Also, try keeping your threads limited to a single one for each subject. Making three separate threads for this one dragon is unnecessary.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu