Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 28-12-2010 , 03:00 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net

Texturing Hair

So when adding hair to a model should I A) Add the hair to the textures or B) Use the fur system?

# 2 28-12-2010 , 12:15 PM
The thin red line
It all depends on what you are doing, maya hair and fur are very differant...........dave

# 3 28-12-2010 , 06:51 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Have you an image of your model??

You can also try poly hair with bitmapped textures on

Jay

# 4 28-12-2010 , 09:52 PM
Jay this is the one I want to put hair on now, I would like her hair to be about mid back length so it wont be covered up by the helm. I also want to add fur to the Centaur WIP when I get that far.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 28-12-2010 , 10:16 PM
i was wondering the same thing a while ago, the difference between maya's hair system and texture hair is the render time.....maya hair will give you a realistic look, but you have to consider things like applying dynamics so the hairs falls into place and doesn't stay straight in the air like you used hair gel on it, you have to make sure the hair doesn't go through your model's head, it will also take a longer time to render.....while texture hair if you do it right, will give you a fairly realistic look with less effort and less render time because all you will be rendering is a plane with a hair texture on it instead of every hair particles from the maya's hair system.

i never was able to find a texture hair tutorial for maya online, so i just went ahead and did the way i knew, came up with this result.
first i made this in photoshop:
user added image

then i tested it in maya by applying it to plane then i put the plane next to a sphere:
user added image

not the best looking hair i know lol, but i did that a while ago and i'm still learning till date. :p

P-S: hey this might be a tutorial idea for SM lol, someone who's an expert in this could show us how to make textured hair user added image

Last edited by hamidz90; 28-12-2010 at 11:40 PM.
# 6 29-12-2010 , 12:41 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
go for poly hair, if you want it to be dynamic make it an Ncloth object so it can interact in dynamic collisions

# 7 29-12-2010 , 02:54 AM
is that what hamidz just showed was poly hair? if thats the case I will probably end up doing that...dont think my system can handle to much

# 8 29-12-2010 , 03:05 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon