Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-03-2003 , 02:48 AM

finished foggy bridge

I think it's done.

Sy
# 2 11-03-2003 , 11:17 AM
Subscriber
oh wow. looks great. maybe the waves on the water are a little bit too big - makes the bridge look amaller than it is.

keep it up :banana:

# 3 12-03-2003 , 05:39 AM
That's looking really nice. I agree with BabyDuck's comment about the size of the waves. Also, the scale of the bump map on the cement base seems too large. As with the waves, it makes the bridge look really small.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 4 17-03-2003 , 08:17 PM
Thank you very much for the suggestions!!!
I think what happens is that I get so used to looking at my works that I can't look at them objectively anymore.
I have tried to apply the suggestions you guys gave me. Any better this way now?

Sy
# 5 17-03-2003 , 11:06 PM
Subscriber
I like it.

The city in the background is nice.

I think a few more cars on the bridge would work too.

Good work!

https://www.darrylworley.com/

https://www.defendamerica.mil/nmam.html
# 6 17-03-2003 , 11:55 PM
I know, you did say before about adding more cars... And now you force me to reveal why I didn't!!!! I would like to say it is a
compositional decision... Well, partially... it does add to the loomy atmosphere, I think... But the truth is that the car you see is the simplest silliest car you can ever model, and if I was to add more cars, especially in the foreground, I would have to model them seriously... which I am not too good at... So it is mostly laziness...

One thing I would like to ask to everybody is how to texture the cylinders that make up the foundations of the bridge without it
swirling around in concentric circles. Anyone?

Sy
# 7 18-03-2003 , 12:55 AM
Its a poly cylinder? You could map each face seperately. Its time conusming but would work well.

# 8 18-03-2003 , 05:16 AM
Thanks for the tip! It didn't seem to make a difference, but thank you anyway. I also tried the texture options in the Polygon menu and the Projection mode seems to eliminate the concentric mapping, but it looks really flat.

Sy
# 9 19-03-2003 , 12:30 PM
Subscriber
how did u do the sea ! it looks like very amazing !!:banana:

Sorry but my english is very poor !
MaY ThE FoRcE Be WiTh YoU !
# 10 19-03-2003 , 08:38 PM
Wow, thank you Cyrius, that is some compliment!
The sea is a soft body with a turbulence field, and on top of that I put a variation of the "ocean wave" shader you find in the Alias | Wavefront web site. That shader is great, you can change parameters and get an endless number of variations: calm water, stormy water, sunny day, overcast day, shallow water, deep water, you name it.

Sy
# 11 20-03-2003 , 04:05 PM
Subscriber
thx a lot mate !!! for me your water loke like the fluid effects in maya 4.5 unLimited !:p user added image

Sorry but my english is very poor !
MaY ThE FoRcE Be WiTh YoU !
# 12 20-03-2003 , 09:23 PM
Really? I have no idea, I don't have the Flud Effects, so that is a huge compliment! Thank you!

Sy