Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 18-08-2003 , 02:56 PM
Subscriber

Maya 6 might be coming out

The Alias dealer phoned and I got the distinct impression that 6 is coming out soon. Anyone else heard anything?

grrrr
# 2 18-08-2003 , 03:58 PM
The Maya Mountain
sheesh, they're putting them out like there's no tomorrow if that's true.

# 3 18-08-2003 , 04:01 PM
Subscriber
Alias must think that we have nothing beter to do than learn software and hence no time to produce anything. They must also think that we have loadsa money to spend on relentless upgrades...

Please one upgrade per year I canna keep up! user added image

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 4 18-08-2003 , 04:30 PM
You know, that IS one of the most annoying things for me as well, is the relentless version output that A|W constantly throws at us.

...I'm comfortable enough with the software so it isn't a big deal to me, but back when I didn't know jack about Maya, it was VERY frustrating because I was like as soon as I THOUGHT I got a handle on what I was doing, another version with a totaly new way of doing things comes out, and I gotta start all over againuser added image

I ended up not upgrading for a LONG time because I wanted to learn the software, and better myself with it, before I ran out and tried the latest incarnation.

Like I said tho, NOW that I'm comfortable, it's not a big deal anymore for me personally, as it is just the same old Maya, with newfangled goodies to learn, rather than a whole new way of doing what I've ALREADY learned.

...but that's the way it is with most things like this right?

Like, I remember that when I was a Maxer, Kinetix did the same thing.
Maybe someone else would have a comparable opinion to this analogy?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 18-08-2003 , 04:32 PM
Well think about it this way.... I would perfer to have a new upgrade once every year or 2 that actully has a lot of new things.. but if they pump them out so fast are they really improving the package or just adding new little things and not completely working out some of the bugs of the older vershion.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 6 18-08-2003 , 04:39 PM
Vampus
I don't think bug fixes and error fixes warrant a new release, that's what a patch is for. But if they release maya X, the a month later, that create some new wacky doo thing that would be quite good/useful, then I think they should release it.

# 7 18-08-2003 , 04:43 PM
What I find amusing is when newcomers get worked up about needing the latest version of Maya, acting as if former versions are completely obsolete. "Oh version 6 is out....4 must suck!" That kind of talk. People forget or don't know in the first place that great things were being done with it when it was still Power Animator.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 8 18-08-2003 , 05:51 PM
Subscriber
I see Max 6 is coming out, perhaps they feel an urge to have the same number about the place. Seems a pity if there is nothing radically new.

# 9 18-08-2003 , 06:48 PM
I agree Kurt, all the way.

Fix the requested, NEEDED bugs first, with a patch/whatever, then add more toys with version upgradesuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 10 18-08-2003 , 07:39 PM
Subscriber
Hey guys let's not all jump :-) I am not sure about 6. Anyway Alias has product release cycle of 6 months.
When did 5.5 come out?

grrrr
# 11 18-08-2003 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
the release cycle atm isnt as rapid as XSI which is about a release every half year :s

i have heard some bad things about Alias|wavefront and Maya, albeit it was from a Softimage person, it did kinda make sense tho:

"The price drop earlier this year was merely confirmation of what the market has been willing to pay for Maya for some time. It also has an air of desperation to it: the new price is not sustainable. A 75% price drop requires a 400% increase in sales volume just to get back to where they were before the changes"

"Therefore it's no surprise that in parallel they closed R&D centers and dramatically reduced their field sales and support presence. We don't know if the rumors are true but laying off 150 people and seeing key people like Mark Sylvester leave also tells me that their management team is not particularly confident in their strategy"

"The net of all this is A|W effectively abandoning the middle and high-ends of the market: those customers will not buy software from a company that cannot support the cost of research and development and provide production-level support. Alias has essentially confirmed this, indicating they are going to concentrate on volume and not innovation - apparently conceding that they cannot keep pace with XSI's extraordinary rise in functionality"

didnt wanna post the link this being a maya site and all, but thats just what i read

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 12 19-08-2003 , 12:14 AM
NOOOO!!!!!!
Maya will forever reign surpreme user added image

# 13 24-08-2003 , 01:06 AM
Subscriber
But Come On, looK at the prices of their software for just upgrading? as if every one could afford it, Im still freeked out over the price of unlimited and the up grade is the same price as 4.0 when I first got it. Man,, Their becoming a big faceless corporation on the verge of becoming money whores. if your not in the Movie or Television industry, might as well give it up to something that will actually make you money.. but if you can get it, more power to ya.

# 14 24-08-2003 , 01:47 AM

Originally posted by R-Tillery
Their becoming a big faceless corporation on the verge of becoming money whores.

i disagree, i think they always were a faceless corporation that /are/ money whores. every company is. i dont care how good a piece of software is, 7k is alot of money (i would know i spent it :|) for a moddeling package. even though it's the best you can get, i think 7k is pushing it.

# 15 24-08-2003 , 01:49 AM

Originally posted by Zyk0tiK
for a moddeling package.

A modelling package only mate? user added image

Last edited by adldesigner; 24-08-2003 at 01:51 AM.