Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 04-09-2003 , 12:24 AM

Maya Nizid Shader

hi guys,

does anyone know how to make a Nizid shader in maya. its a shader which displays the normal information as a false colour map. its useful for picking out the edges of surfaces for cel shading. any help would be appreciated.

cheers
quyeno

# 2 04-09-2003 , 12:33 AM
The Maya Mountain
can't say I've ever heard of a nizid shader.

# 3 04-09-2003 , 01:45 AM
There is an excellent NPR shader script here:
https://www.noboundrees.com/yinako/tut/nprs/nprstut.html
you might try making one of these and picking it apart in hypershade to see if it uses one to get it's edge lines. BTW, I'm working on a bunch of cel-shaded FMV's right now, if you have any ideas or want any ideas maybe we could exchange methods?

# 4 05-09-2003 , 11:42 PM
hi, heres a picture of what a nizid shader looks like.

Yeah, i've seen that tut before and its rreally nice for the colour but its not very good for ink lines. Like most cel shaders out there, getting ink lines for curved surfaces is relatively easy but getting ink lines for straight edges is another thing all together. thats where a nizid shader comes in, the shader you see here is the renderman shader, i would love to recreate it in maya. this image can be edge detected in a good compositor or even photoshop to get really nice edges for all types of surfaces, straight and curved.

Attached Images
# 5 07-09-2003 , 04:42 PM
highend3d.com has one in their shader section if I am not mistaken.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow