Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 13-01-2004 , 09:13 AM
Subscriber

Poly Modelling Normals (?) issue

Hey folks,

Having a smoothing or normal or SOMETHING issue with this dude. Faces around the ear look like a dog pooed on them. I can't seem to get them to smooth out using Soften/Harden. Ideas?

BTW, Happy Belated CumpleaƱos, Senior McKinley.

Attached Images

Do they speak English in What?
# 2 13-01-2004 , 09:55 AM
Subscriber
try to avirge the normals. also, being able to see a unsmoothed wire right around the ear might help. Are most of the faces around the ear quads ?

# 3 13-01-2004 , 03:51 PM
Subscriber

RE: Poly Modelling Normals (?) issue

I do average the normals with the BonusGames tool (forget what it's called and I'm not where I can get to it), and it still looks like piss.

I know where the setting is in Max to render the wireframe, but I don't know in Maya.

# 4 13-01-2004 , 04:38 PM
The Maya Mountain
you want to get rid of n-sided polys. 4-sided is the goal.

# 5 13-01-2004 , 05:18 PM
Subscriber
They are all either quads or tris. I have checked all of the quads. It WAS 3am, but I'm pretty sure I deleted the suspicious faces and recreated them with Append To Polygon.

The ear was difficult without tris, especially the folds and creases inside it.

If you think that that's what's causing it, Mike, then I'll revisit my n-gon hunting spree.

Thanks a mill.

# 6 13-01-2004 , 10:36 PM
Subscriber
you can also get weird results like that if edges aren't connected like they should be. might want to move some random vertices around just in case to check.

# 7 13-01-2004 , 10:42 PM
Subscriber
you don't have to render the wire, you can always just get a screen cap. You can just hit Ctrl + PrintScreen. That saves the screen to the clipboard. Thin open like photoshop or paint, make a new doc, and past. Trim it and save to a file.

# 8 13-01-2004 , 10:52 PM
Subscriber
DUH! Thanks Ponyboy.