Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-09-2008 , 10:50 PM

What can the U.V option do for me??

Just curious what does the U.V. option do/or what can it enable me to do??

Jason

# 2 21-09-2008 , 11:12 PM
The Nurb Herd
which UV option?

UVs are like verts on your object that give the textures mapping coords.

# 3 21-09-2008 , 11:29 PM
Well I guess what i am asking is what do they do...What is the difference between them and vertices??

# 4 21-09-2008 , 11:59 PM
Lifetime Member
Uv's have no use in the modeling stage of a project. Vertices are physical points that you can push and pull to alter your geomtetry, If you push and pull the UV's then the geometry will not change since UV's are just a mapping co-ordinate to tell Maya where to place a texture on your 3d model.
After modelling you will have to UV map the model ans unwrap the UV's to make a 2D map.Your 2D texture can then be created using the UV map as a giude to where each part of the texture will end up on your model.
Hope this makes sense to you and helps you understand a little better the function of UV'S.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 22-09-2008 , 12:03 AM
The Nurb Herd
well imagine a skin on your model. Take your hulk model for example. when you want to apply textures to it you will need to unwrap that skin so it becomes flat, then you can paint textures using the UVs as reference points and co-ordinates to re-apply the texture to the 3d object.... umm that might not make much sense.

# 6 22-09-2008 , 11:22 AM
Subscriber
and to add to what's been said...

UV's are 2D coordinates ((u,v) if you will), that are projected onto 3D space ((x,y,z) coordinates)
uv-coordinates go between 0 and 1

their use and difference to verts has already been said user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 22-09-2008 , 01:50 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone

uv-coordinates go between 0 and 1

well techinically a range from -1 to 1 four ways, where 0 is the local center, as i understand it...

but the real Question is what can you do for UVs:blush: