Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 01-10-2006 , 07:55 AM
Subscriber

GI_Joe script

Hi all,

Need some help on another newbie problem. I've seen the use of the GI_Joe script for clay renders, and to simulate GI, and I downloaded a version of it, but I'm alittle confused how to install it, I couldnt find the tutorials for it that was recommended in these forums quite some time ago, and the script didnt come with documentation, just the .mel, the lights .mel, and a .bmp. I take it the .bmp is so you can make it a shelf button? Can some one give me an idea how to properly install it as a shelf button? I was assuming the script goes in the script folder inside the 7.0 folder, as well as the lights, and can be called by opening the script editor and copying the script into the editor and hitting enter? If correct, cool, but I'd like to make it a shelf button. I also downloaded the seperatedetach.mel, and would like to do the same thing.. it came with a .bmp so I assume it can be made a shelf button. Can anyone give me a hand? Thanks for any help!!

# 2 01-10-2006 , 11:14 AM
Subscriber
have a look at this thread here
for help on istalling gi joe

also at the tool bar ull se an arrow(black) pointing downwards
lmb click and hold go shelf editor
shelf contents tab
select the script u want to add a pic to
click chand image and load up ur pic

yes they do have to be bitmaps and quite small ones at that

hope this helps

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 01-10-2006 , 11:50 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the fast reply!! I opened the script in the script editor, and wouldnt you know, there are comments to install it, by adding the GI_Joe script and the lights script into the scripts folder, and that should be it, ( nothing about making it a button on the shelf, but I think you asnswered that one..THANKS!!) but now, I'm having a problem ( so embarrassing..) I do some scripting.. very basic, and alot in POVRAY, but the comments say you must edit a line replacing the line with your path... but in the editor, it wont let me write the whole path, it stops and will only let me put so many characters in the line. Can anyone tell me how edit a line of the script? I need to have the whole path from C to the scripts folder in order for the GI_Joe script to work I believe. I'll check out the thread as well... Thanks again!

# 4 01-10-2006 , 01:11 PM
Sounds like you just need to open the mel script in a text editor and edit the path.

# 5 01-10-2006 , 02:57 PM
Subscriber
the file in which u change line 57 or what not u do in topepad or wordpad ect

then place that file where it tells u

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 6 01-10-2006 , 03:04 PM
Subscriber
Thanks again for the replies.

Dann,
thats what I was trying to do. Edit the script in the script editor..LOL but it wouldnt let me type more characters then was in the script when it was opened.

Pbman,

Thanks.. yes.. note pad and word pad is where I usually do my script editing, ( I do very little scripting so I'm definitly a noob in this area as well as Maya..:blush: ) but thought I could do the change in the script editor in Maya. Thanks for the help all.
user added image
Once I get it working, I'll try to see if I can get it in the shelf along with seperatedetach.mel.

# 7 01-10-2006 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
Well, I looked at your link to see how to install and I'm still not getting anywhere. I'll keep playing around with it. I think I must be editing the line wrong. I am supposed to be changing the line from "e:/vfx/..... to the path to my scripts folder where I have GI_Joe placed.. right? Thanks for your patience...

# 8 01-10-2006 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber
Well, I got it rendering, just need to play with the settings to see what I can get. But, yes... another question.....
In one of my scenes, its set to centermeters in the preferences, Rendered it and its working fine, but in a tutorial I am working through on another character, they had me set the settings to meters, and when I run the GI_Joe script, the sphere and lights are very small, and the character is much larger than the set up for GIJ, I tried to scale it up, the sphere scales up fine, but the lights get very messed up.... any way to fit it to the size of this scene? or does the scene have to be sized down and re-scale the character.