Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 10-02-2015 , 02:38 PM

My Batch Render takes very long time

Hello My Batch Render takes very long time.
I make an animation and it has 13300 frames. (for 24fps it's 9.2 minute)

I want to make it a movie clip for youtube HD 720p. I want to use mental ray.
And I choose mental ray on Render Settings Window.
My Options:
Image format: Maya IFF (iff)
Frame/Animation ext: name_#.ext
Start frame: 1
End Frame: 13300

I click to Batch render 8 hours ago but it's done %30 yet! user added image
How can that be??
And I will convert this iff files to avi with a program what is VirtualDub. (%30 rendering and it's size is 9GB!!!)

Is there different a method for rendering quickly as 720p?
how can I render my video quickly? user added image

(Note: My computer is not so bad for this job. AMD 8core, 16GB ram, 2GB 128bit Ati Graphic etc...)

# 2 10-02-2015 , 10:40 PM
EduSciVis-er
You mean 30% of a single frame or 30% of 13 thousand frames. 8 hours for almost 4 thousand frames is really not bad at all. And you will get huge files sizes because virtualdub will output an uncompressed file. Simple math will you get there (num frames * num pixels per frame * num bits per pixel). After effects can definitely export compressed videos (e.g. H264 mp4). I don't know about virtualdub encoding settings.

If you want to render minutes of footage quickly, you're probably looking at the simplest scenes possible, or a render farm (you can find online render farms to upload your files to).

Hope that helps.

# 3 11-02-2015 , 08:42 PM

You mean 30% of a single frame or 30% of 13 thousand frames. 8 hours for almost 4 thousand frames is really not bad at all. And you will get huge files sizes because virtualdub will output an uncompressed file. Simple math will you get there (num frames * num pixels per frame * num bits per pixel). After effects can definitely export compressed videos (e.g. H264 mp4). I don't know about virtualdub encoding settings.

If you want to render minutes of footage quickly, you're probably looking at the simplest scenes possible, or a render farm (you can find online render farms to upload your files to).

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much for your answer.
If I must answer your first question: yes %30 13 thousand frames takes 8 hours user added image
I will try After Effect ofr encode my iff files.
But My big problem is rendering takes very long time user added image I mean I start my render yesterday and today it is myvideo_8463.iff Is not is bad? It is normal for mettal ray renders?
I am really new on maya I am sorry because I ask many questions. user added image

My videos one frame is this user added image
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9z...ew?usp=sharing
user added image

Last edited by ozelgoktug; 11-02-2015 at 09:49 PM.
# 4 12-02-2015 , 03:00 AM
EduSciVis-er
Yes that is not bad, you can figure out how long each frame takes. Your image is fairly simple, so I don't expect it to be so long, but actually ~7 seconds per frame (my rough calculation) is pretty fast. If I was working on a short animation project, I would probably try to get my renders below 5 min per frame, which would take 83 hours for "only" 1000 frames. But different projects obviously have different requirements. I heard that rendering Treebeard for Lord of the Rings took around 48 hours for a single frame. Obviously they used many many computer to get the job done, but you see what I mean.

# 5 12-02-2015 , 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Well look at it this way, in 8 hours, your single machine cranked out almost HD 4000 frames. Thats really not bad. If anything you could always double check that there are no firewall issues and your machine has decent cooling.

- Genny