Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 61 22-02-2011 , 02:06 AM
Those new wings look really great to me. This is still one of my favorite in the comp so far. You started out with a really sweet looking concept and your modeling is looking just as sweet. Two thumbs up from me.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 62 22-02-2011 , 02:29 AM
Subscriber
Cheers - I really proud of this model because I got a lot of cool reactions when I did the concept back in the day, but my 3D skills were no where near ready for this.

I also learnt a lot about stepping back from this project and not being scared to delete things I spent hours on. I have 9 different sets of wings, bolts, guns and bombs that are now in the spare parts folder. I think I`m a little lucky that it looks so good with the shaders and renders in about 6 seconds a frame. The mesh is also very clean and looks good just doing screen grabs (touched up and presented in photoshop of course).

I do think the modelling part of this is done - just need something for the final render hmmmmmmmmm

# 63 22-02-2011 , 02:36 AM
19 year Veteran
Yeah, those wings look awesome. As far as winning, it's a hard guess. There are quite a few entries that look really cool IMO. I just hope I can finnish mine in time.

# 64 22-02-2011 , 02:37 AM
Lifetime Member
Chirone!!! I take umbrage at that remark!! bahahaha, nothing wrong with us Aussies mate.

Ken Oath = F*****g Oath Tweety...= too right in English LOL..

Oh and Chirone...Aussie slang derives its heritage from Cockney rhyming slang ans some Irish and Scottish thrown in for good measure.

I dig the black Tweety but that will be a hard call colour wise mate....a nice dusty desert cam or city cam (camouflageee)...dunno

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 22-02-2011 at 02:40 AM.
# 65 22-02-2011 , 03:27 AM
Subscriber

Yeah, those wings look awesome. As far as winning, it's a hard guess. There are quite a few entries that look really cool IMO.

Yer I know what you mean (makes a change in this thread right now) some of the work has really gotten good. And whats the count at the mo 17 - trust the one time I get one finished everyone enters.

I really don`t care about winning this time round - I love this model and was such fun to work on. I do these to keep my skills sharp - but I`ll never say no to a 4th medal for the row below user added image

# 66 22-02-2011 , 10:26 PM
Looking good. The last two versions of the wings look much better.

You could also experiment with making them thicker at the root edge and thinning out as they get to the outer edges and see how that works. It might be a bit tricky to make that work due to the over all shape, but just something to tinker with.

Also there is a clear crease in the canopy. I am not sure if that is intentional. Might look better either without the crease or some indication of a structural reason for it being their. Maybe a part line where the canopy separates or a frame or something.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 22-02-2011 at 10:32 PM.
# 67 22-02-2011 , 10:37 PM
# 68 23-02-2011 , 10:46 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
Hey tweety the model looks great but i feels more like some thing that should be gliding rather than speeding along trying to break sound barriers ......

# 69 23-02-2011 , 10:42 PM
19 year Veteran

I really don`t care about winning this time round - I love this model and was such fun to work on. I do these to keep my skills sharp - but I`ll never say no to a 4th medal for the row below

I feel the same way also. I doubt my entry makes 5th place, but I'm still glad to have done it no matter what.

# 70 26-02-2011 , 08:43 PM
Subscriber
Well been trying some idea`s out for final entry and thought I would share this one with you guys.

Will not be using it now as I just don`t have the time and will be showing something completely different in the end - its just a basic colour pass of the scene but I think you can see where I was going with it - buildings need a lot more time with the textures and more time on the light set up, so for now its scrapped. I also also going to do a scene with someone running towards the camera with one following at full speed but although cool concept it would not show off the model. And as this is a modelling comp - going back to basics.

Attached Thumbnails

# 71 27-02-2011 , 02:01 AM
Lifetime Member
that look sweet mate...really does

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 72 27-02-2011 , 11:17 AM
The Nurb Herd
i see you are not presenting this, but if you are going to work on it more, it needs motion blur.

# 73 28-02-2011 , 03:01 PM
Subscriber
Yer I know - it needs alot of stuff doing to it, but no time for love Dr Jones - time is up.

Final images/videos are up - Many thx to all who have helped out in this challenge - I was not alone in this one and I hope you like the final result.

# 74 28-02-2011 , 03:11 PM
Subscriber

Last edited by tweetytunes; 28-02-2011 at 03:15 PM.
# 75 28-02-2011 , 05:56 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Got a bit sick of the cameramovement LOL, but the model and shading looks pretty good.
Now I don't want to jinx it, but if nobody else is going to enter their final image I'd say you'd won user added image