Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 27-07-2005 , 05:57 AM
Inspector Lee

Render Crashes

I'm having a problem with a recent project that's driving me crazy. I have a model that's textured and lit and every time I try to render a single frame image of it, I can pull 1 and only 1 render. As soon as I try to render it a second time, Maya crashes. The render globals settings don't seem to matter at all (high res or low res, raytracing or mapped shadows it always crashes on the second render). The only clue is something in the command line about not being able to find enough memory to load a specific texture.
Anyone have any hints, suggestions or similar problems? It's driving me insane. I'm using Maya 6.0 on a 2GHz Mac G5 with 2GB DDR SDRAM.
:headbang:

# 2 27-07-2005 , 03:16 PM
Technical Director
wow. you shouldn't have any problems with that computer. Did you check if the textures are corrupt? Maybe open them up and save them again.

Try that.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 27-07-2005 , 05:35 PM
Inspector Lee

New weirdness???

I think you're right. I found that all my materials had the color layer (of their associated PSD file) connected to both their color input and their transparency input. When I fixed this, it stopped crashing. The really strange thing is I couldn't figure out how that happened, so I ran a little test.
I opened a new file, created an object, assigned a new material (blinn) and created a PSD file for that material (with only color, bump and spec layers-no transparency). When I graphed the network everything looked o.k. Then, I minimized Maya to put a texture in the color layer (In Photoshop). When I brought Maya back up (and before I even had it reload the PSD file) the color layer was connected to both the color and the transparency inputs of the blinn!!!!???? WTF? Anyone have any clue what this might be? or is my version of Maya just haunted? And thanks NextDesign for the help.