Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 12-04-2009 , 11:46 AM
Subscriber
I know what you mean - there are some parts of mine which look great but then you look at the whole thing you just cant see it. Going to have to do a camera pass over this one - something like the start to starwars I thinking.

# 32 12-04-2009 , 12:19 PM
That's a really good idea Tweetytunes, and after the comp has finished we're left with models we can do what we want with anyway.
I'm not sure I'll be able to do what I originally planned, I was going to have 3 motherships docking into an even bigger ship, but probably won't have the pc power to do it. What I'll do is build the "something bigger" after, and use photoshop to create a final image with that, several motherships, and hundreds of pods flying towards our planet!
I guess I should just see how this pans out first!

# 33 12-04-2009 , 01:56 PM
Subscriber
Very, very nice work Dango. I like to see the detail you and and everyone are putting into their work. And everyone is having a chance to show their styles, as you mentioned. Seems this is fun, as it should be. About the details being lost. Is it just me or do we enjoy the details and that the fact it may be lost, or not seen in sn angle or shot, it still make us satisfied that it is there. Hope that made sense.

Happy Easter to all!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 34 12-04-2009 , 04:22 PM
Thanks Tom, I agree about the details being there as much to satisfy ourselves as anyone else.
And as I said previously, the model is always there after the comp and can be used in many more shots etc so the detailing is important, I'm really wanting to get this animated at some point in the future and may use it in a story at some point too hopefully!
Thanks for the kind words and good luck again with yours!

# 35 12-04-2009 , 05:59 PM
Subscriber
looking great, do you have any references or are you just going from whats in your head?

# 36 12-04-2009 , 10:13 PM
Subscriber
it kinda looks like a giant turbine or something user added image

it looks like it'll be a challenge to UV map

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 37 13-04-2009 , 12:18 AM
Rhetoric Camel and Chirone:
Cheers for the comments you two, nope, no references, have just got a picture of it in my head and go from there, the picture in my head does have influences from a few different things but most things do I guess.

The launchers kind of came from the idea of a pistol barrel of an old six shooter (I was watching an old western)
The whole launcher rotates letting the pods fly off from the bottom,as above will be covered somewhat. Hope I get to animate it oneday!

It is going to be a bastard to layout and texture, just have to do it in several maps to keep a check on it, and a few bit will be shaders with bump maps etc. Trying not to think about that til I get there! I do love a challenge....

# 38 13-04-2009 , 06:07 PM
oh wow - really loving this one a lot - nice job! user added image

# 39 13-04-2009 , 09:46 PM
Cheers Arran! I'm having so much fun with this one. Done a bit more today, started on the housing around the launch bay, going to start working my way outwards around the main body of the ship now.

Attached Thumbnails
# 40 13-04-2009 , 11:47 PM
Subscriber
Dango, that is some very fine work!! The lines are sharp and clean. This will be good, I am sure!! I like the render also, it shows off your work.

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 41 14-04-2009 , 04:21 AM
Thanks Tom! I've just been spending some time getting the front of the ship right, and am finally happy with it, now I can start detailing it and continuing building up the shape!

Attached Thumbnails
# 42 14-04-2009 , 12:33 PM
Subscriber
wow Dango, this is looking awesome!
The detail you are putting in to the model is really selling it, great work.

View my Portfolio at
https://whyte.cgsociety.org
# 43 14-04-2009 , 03:40 PM
Thanks Whyte, hopefully I'll get some more done soon, have got another project on now too, have to do a website for a friend which is going to end up being totally 3d, so need to get some done for that or I won't get paid! Very hard to drag myself away from this though, even for a minute, just too fun!

# 44 14-04-2009 , 06:21 PM
Got a little more done towards the shape, just takes a lot of time to work out all the angles of it, hopefully should get quite a bit done this evening with a bit of luck!

Attached Thumbnails
# 45 15-04-2009 , 12:04 AM
Not got a lot done today, but here's a render anyway for the fun of it, hopefully get a bit more done later and have a better day tomorrow!

Attached Thumbnails