Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 05-10-2009 , 05:55 PM
The Nurb Herd
is it the same if you select UVs in the persp view?

# 17 06-10-2009 , 03:10 AM
EduSciVis-er
I think so, yes. At least I select UVs in the persp, and the corresponding UVs light up green in both the persp and UVTE, and the move tool appears in the UVTE, but when I move it, the texture itself doesn't update. I've tried creating new UVs for the whole object, but that doesn't change anything. It's only for this one object too.

# 18 06-10-2009 , 03:13 AM
EduSciVis-er
Aha! Found it! Under UV sets, there were four listed, and only the first one was using the texture(?) but the last one was the one displayed. Ok, so I obviously need to do a bit more learning about what UV sets actually are and how they behave.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions hammer, really appreciate it user added image

EDIT: and to fix that, I tried Polygons > Delete current UV set, but it didn't want to delete the default set (map1), so I selected all the UVs of the set I wanted and did Polygons > Copy UVs to UV Set > map1 and they overwrote the existing ones. All good now!

Hope this helps someone else who has a similar problem too.

Last edited by stwert; 06-10-2009 at 03:16 AM.
# 19 06-10-2009 , 08:29 PM
Hey very cool. I checked out your WIP and it worked for me, too. Anyway, the behaviour is a bit strange isn't it?

Let me know, if you found out.

Thank you very much!

Cheers, kimsay

# 20 14-10-2009 , 04:57 PM
EduSciVis-er
So I did a couple renders for a lighting assignment. The idea was to create a scene and only change the lighting between the two.
Another student modelled and textured the violin, so I give full credit there.
Let me know what you think.

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 14-10-2009 , 04:58 PM
EduSciVis-er
And second...

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 14-10-2009 , 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
I really liked the previous render, this last one seems really dark.

- Genny
# 23 14-10-2009 , 08:41 PM
The thin red line
I think the second render was better, may be bring another light in to slowly bring up the brightness

# 24 14-10-2009 , 09:56 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks for the comments. I think in the first one, the soundboard did end up getting sort of washed out (the yellowish board), so I think I should reduce the lighting at least on that component, maybe fiddle with the material. And the second one is sorta dark I guess, especially for a stage, now that I look at it again.
One thing I noticed when rendering was that the first render looked drastically different on each of my two monitors. I'll have to fix the gamma and color on my monitors for sure.
I also found that saving as different file types produced quite different results as well, which I thought was weird and frustrating. What difference does it make when you change the file type in the render globals, when you have to go file, save as... in the render view? Is that only for animation and stuff?

# 25 15-10-2009 , 09:03 AM
Subscriber
In the first one i didn't know the violin was there until now..

the second one does seem really dark, and the harp kind of blends in with the curtain
i think that's what you use a back light for, to brighten the edges of the harp a bit, it's totally unrealistic i think, but it's what i see people do.. or at least read what people do... i never notice a backlight unless someone tells me so far....

Originally posted by stwert
I also found that saving as different file types produced quite different results as well, which I thought was weird and frustrating. What difference does it make when you change the file type in the render globals, when you have to go file, save as... in the render view? Is that only for animation and stuff?

are you talking about saving things out as gif, png, jpg, etc?
if you are then the 'different results' is expected because they are all encoded differently and encode different things
or are you talking about something else?

when you select what sort of image you want in the global render settings that affects the render preview and what comes out in a batch render.
the images that appear in your images/tmp folder (assuming you used default project directories) will appear in the format chosen in the global render settings

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 26 15-10-2009 , 04:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
I wasn't intending the violin to be seen in the first render, in fact I added a point light with negative intensity to darken up that corner (why was it there then, you ask? ...well the assignment was such that no objects were to be moved or changed between the two shots).

I actually do have backlights for the harp (and violin in the second render), or rim lights I think they're called sometimes. You can see it on the right side of the upper post especially, but I could up the intensity a bit more to make them stand out more.

Yeah, I was talking about tga and tiff and png and stuff.

when you select what sort of image you want in the global render settings that affects the render preview and what comes out in a batch render.

So, if you render something with .iff in the render globals, it will actually look different than if you render with .tga in the render globals, even before you save to a disk?? That seems odd to me somehow.