Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 46 17-09-2010 , 10:52 AM
Subscriber
Ah, really glad you got something useful out of it dave!user added image

Yeah, snapping is brilliant, especially where he shows you to click on certain axes of the gizmo to move points in just that direction, and snapping points to points. Excellent.

# 47 17-09-2010 , 11:39 AM
The Nurb Herd
you should have baked the final gather points, that would have helped with the popping. final gather is good for stills, not so good for anything moving.

I'm not really a fan of the plane either. if it was curved with a bend deformer it would have been nicer. so you don't have the straight black to white/grey contrast horizon line.

model looks good tho, great work under pressure which is pretty much what people want in their department. as far as commercials go, its such tight deadlines that you sometimes find yourself working flat out for most of the night.
If you get the job you will fit right in! user added image

good luck.

# 48 17-09-2010 , 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Hey Ben, Modelling looks good. You probably don't need FG for this, some AO and a studio lighting setup would suffice I think. Theres a lot of dead space in that vid, maybe the phone animation could make better use of frame real estate? My two cents user added image

- Genny
# 49 17-09-2010 , 02:52 PM
Subscriber
Hammer: ha ha, thanks. Is the fg whats causing that swimming swirling area on the back when the phone slides open?

Genny: thanks. I found it akward because I knew kind of what I wanted the phone to do, but I didnt want to overcomplicate it by animating the camera also, so I had to keep the camera panned back to fit it all in. I told the company via the recruitment company that I couldnt/didnt animate, so im hoping just the fact theres any at all might count in my favour. I think the text is naff too, font and fade wise.

I used fg because of the skydome half sphere. What do you mean by 'studio lighting set up'?

# 50 17-09-2010 , 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Actually Hammer had mentioned putting the product on what is essentially a curved plane so you get a nice gradient backdrop and that's one of the things a studio setup does. I find that HDRI only usually doesn't cut it

Image is from a site called Dreamtimestudio.

Attached Images

- Genny
# 51 17-09-2010 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber
tch, I get it. Sorry, I thought Hamer meant, when he said plane, the plane the keypad was made out of.

re: the floor plane. I did bevel it up good so there was a curved gradient in the back like you mean. But - I much preferred the phone against a black background. when I had walls back there too, it didnt seem as visually strong.

I dont understand what you mean about HDRI lighting 'cutting it' Genny? Im still pretty new to using HDRI, need some new hdri images cause I find myself re-using the same ones alot. What are the pitfalls do you think of using HDRI then? This is about as photoreal as I've ever done anything so I see no drawbacks to HDRI as yet.

# 52 18-09-2010 , 02:01 AM
Super Moderator
Light or dark backdrop, your choice but the sharp line in the back isn't doing your model justice .

What I meant by HDRI domes not "cutting it" is that often you get ambiguous lighting and undefined shadows if its the sole source of light (unless you use really expensive settings). Their strong points are environment reflections and ambient/fill light. That's just my opinion of course :3

Edited for the weird red smiley and later again for spelling lol :s

- Genny

Last edited by GecT; 19-09-2010 at 03:03 AM.
# 53 18-09-2010 , 02:54 AM
Subscriber
So you would recommend using hdri alongside other 'key lights', where the hdri was playing more of a supporting, 'fill' role, while other lights did more of the shadow work?

# 54 18-09-2010 , 02:59 AM
Super Moderator
Why yes, yes I do.

- Genny
# 55 18-09-2010 , 06:22 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by GecT
Why yes, yes I do.

Well, then I shall jolly well give that a try if and when the need so next arises.

# 56 18-09-2010 , 10:39 PM
The Nurb Herd
i agree kind of...

imo the IBL is just there for environment reflections but doesn't do any actual lighting. turn off FG and light it manually. I try not to use FG ever, and you will find that most people try to avoid it.

for a situation like this i.e studio lighting, it doesn't make sense for the reflections to be a kitchen or the uffizi probe or whatever.
I used to do the PC World adverts (the chrome numbers and letters) the light rig for that scene is generally spot lights in a 3 point lighting setup and a bunch of reflection cards. (these are just planes that are animated to move in front of the numbers. the primary visibility is turned off and they have ramps plugged into the colour of a surface shader or lambert or something. if you make the ramp black and white and grey and kind of stripy like a barcode or something, you could have a diagonal ramp or something.) i would have an IBL but it would just be black with some white spots on it where the studio lights would be.

# 57 26-09-2010 , 11:35 AM
Subscriber
point 1: i see your point dom, there is a part of me that wonders where all those windows are that i see in the reflections. a part of me considered making a visible background to match the reflections.....very backward and convoluted i know, but, one of the original comments i had back off the company was that they wanted to see somthing integrated into a real life background. this is something i havnt really done before. i dont think i have the software to do it. i have after effects, and have looked at the digital tutors lessons about using that for 3d/2d integration...pre matte multipliers and all that. i also signed up for the cg society nuke compositing course, starts in 3.

back on topic, i get your idea of using just a black and white ibl.

i take it then that you dont ever set the ibl to 'emit light', or 'emit photons'? i have experimented with this a couple of times but unless the scene is extremely light, intricacy wise,mr usually just crashes.

point 2: i thought, seeing as i have this maya scene/animation now, id play with it a little. i have animated the camera and added some spinning lights in the background. its no longer for the job application so im just playing, but as a quick fix i switched on the 'optimize fg for animation' in the render settings. seemed to work ok,less flickering, but def loss of lighting quality. any views on this approach?

Edit: Link to newer version : https://vimeo.com/15295384

Last edited by ben hobden; 26-09-2010 at 04:34 PM.