Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 13-05-2011 , 02:19 AM

Can't delete Image Plane

I have an Image plane I done with but I can't figure out how to delete it. I've tried to simply highlight it and delete it, highlight it in the outliner (at least I think "side shape" is the image plane).

I also tried to just hide it, which I could do in all windows except the side view. And now I can't even highlight it in that view.

Is there a right way to delete image planes? What am I don't wrong. It seems it should be easy to do.

Thanks!

# 2 13-05-2011 , 02:51 AM
Subscriber
Try un-ticking the box in Show>Cameras

# 3 13-05-2011 , 03:57 AM
I just tried it. It's still there.

Since my last post. I started a new scene and brought it a image plane of a License Plate. I then made a License plate, saved and closed the file and reopened my main car scene. I then imported the LP file (I did all this to avoid importing a new image plane into my main car scene)

But I of course along with the the poly License Plate I made, I imported the LP image plane, which I now can not get rid of. (it is only in the front view)

All my tutorials show how to import an image plane, but I can't figure out how to delete one permanently. It's really driving me crazy!user added image

UPDATE:

Ok, I was able to make the Image Plane into a Layer, then hide it. But I would really just like to delete it. I'm not going to use it again and it's just adding clutter.

Anyone know how to just delete them?

UPDATE 2:

NO! It's still in the front view! I can't even hid it with the layer. How do you kill these varmints! What am I missing?user added image

Last edited by David2011; 13-05-2011 at 04:21 AM.
# 4 13-05-2011 , 06:18 AM
Acid44
Depends on how you set up the plane, if you set it up in the camera settings or whatever, I have no idea how any of it works. But the best way I think to set it up is to use a poly plane with the image on it as a textured lambert.

To do so, just make a poly plane, click it's instance in the sidebar thingy on the right... Forget what its called atm. Then resize it via the hotboxes to a scaled down size of the image (example; 500x400 image = 50x40 plane) After this, open hypershade (Window -> Rendering Editors -> Hypershade) Create a new lambert in there, then hold control and drag and drop the image for the plane into the hypershade window and on to the lambert.

After that, create a new layer, which you seem to have figured out, add the plane to the layer, and you'll be able to hide it, or delete it, or whatever, whenever you want.

Horrible, horrible guide. But maybe if someone rewrites it it could work.

Didn't read this myself, but it seems it may help more.

https://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showth...p-Image-Planes

# 5 13-05-2011 , 07:55 AM
I was starting to think that myself. At least then I would know how to handle it. I might try it for the next one.

I did discover though that if I go into where the name of the file is typed in (when I choose that file in the first place) then just clear out the file name and hit enter. The image plane deletes. Kind of a strange way to do it.

Oh well... it works for now user added image

# 6 13-05-2011 , 08:55 AM
The Nurb Herd
delete it in the camera tab in the hypershade.

# 7 13-05-2011 , 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Another way you can go about it is select the camera go to Windows > Hypergraph: Connections and just delete the image plane node.

- Genny
# 8 13-05-2011 , 06:06 PM
Ahhhh yes, deleting in the hypergraph does the job nicely. Thank you!

I think it's time I review my books and tutorials on what the hypergraph is for user added image

# 9 25-11-2018 , 05:02 PM
had the same problem as the author of this post, the problem was solved when I turned off this node "Grease Pencil Side Render Plane" in Hypergraph. But I can't comprehence, why I could't see it in the Outliner menu, where anyone could esaily find it. It has everyning in the scene except for it. do you know, why everything's so complicated?

user added image