Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 15-06-2008 , 07:12 PM

Create Instant EXR on Nokia Camera Phones

Tea Vui Huang's Instant EXR
https://teavuihuang.com/instantexr

Tea Vui Huang's Instant EXR mobile phone application lets you create a High Dynamic Range Image (HDRI) in the form of ILM's (Industrial Light & Magic, a division of Lucas Digital Ltd. LLC) OpenEXR latitude-longitude environment map from a sequence of mobile phone photos.

The process takes about 20 seconds for each 1024x512 EXR. The OpenEXR files it creates can be imported directly into SOFTIMAGE|XSI & Autodesk Maya to render photo-realistic 3D scenes and animation. The Instant EXR generated environment maps can be used with Final Gather or Global Illumination to perform Image-Based Lighting (IBL). The fully-functional application and sample EXR can be downloaded from the website above.

user added image

# 2 15-06-2008 , 08:30 PM
Hey thats a pretty sweet app!

I do have one question tho, and please tell me if I'm wrong, but in order for an image to qualify as a true HDR image, doesn't it need to be floating point throughout its lifecycle?

Starting from a standard .jpeg defeats the HDR purpose does it not?
I mean, a standard .jpeg does not natively carry enough information for the super-brights and super-blacks that a floating point image does correct?

Again, please tell me if I'm wronguser added image

Cool app tho!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 15-06-2008 , 10:24 PM
Cool app!

I think that you can have a series of Jpegs, but they need to be takes at various f stop values to get the right levels (super black to super white), then again I might be wrong though!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 16-06-2008 , 05:22 AM
Yepuser added image Thats correct as far as I'm aware of as well.

So, does the app comp them together like, say, HDRShop does?
Meaning comp them with math intact in order to create one HDR frame?

If so then that makes this app really sweet for a pocketsize HDR emergency tool!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com