Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-09-2003 , 11:11 AM

Serious Maya 5 crashes

No other piece of software can bring my computer down like Maya can...
At the most something will unexpectedly quit and I'll get the windows error msg "please report to M$" etc...

But with Maya, hardcore beeping freezes...cursor dead and all.
--reset button.

It happens only in orthographic views while using image planes...sometimes it's when I zoom out or when panning view, sometimes I'm just moving a vertex around, sometimes while extruding faces...
To the best of my memory, I've never crashed in perspective view.

System specs:
amd athlon xp 1700+, a7v266-e mobo, 512 DDR, Win XP SP1.
Graphics card : radeon 9100 pro 128 meg (saphire)

Has anyone ever had a similar problem, or can suggest what I might be able to do to fix this?

Thanks in advance

I consist of mostly water.
# 2 19-09-2003 , 11:16 AM

forgot to mention

I should add:
This problem is less random than it sounds.

At the moment I'm stuck on a single vertex I just want to move slightly. Everytime i touch it I crash instantly. I can move other verticies around though...and If I do some toher things and then come back to this vertex, or possible if I even just zoom out or something, it may well work fine again.

I've deleted construction history, reset Maya's default settings, etc...

Also - it probably wouldn't crash if I changed the view mode to non-textured temporarily...

Makes it very difficult to model indeed...thankfully my Uni deadline is still a few weeks away..

# 3 19-09-2003 , 03:06 PM
Subscriber
thats the second time i've heard this problem. the only similar things i can see are that you both only have 512 ram ,both running Radeon cards and both on amd boards. If you figure it out please post. this guy near my area needs some help too.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 4 19-09-2003 , 03:19 PM
No problem...if I figure out i'll certainly post the answer here.

I'm sure it's not a ram issue...more likely it's a radeon thing if this other guy has one too...or maybe a combo of radeon/amd boards...

I was reallly hoping that wouldn't be the case, but from what you say it's a fairly plausible explenation. Is he using a Via chipset? which model radeon?

I never had this problem in 4.5...

I'm hopeing it's a coincidence.

# 5 19-09-2003 , 07:10 PM
Try turning off Hardware acceleration for the viewports.
I think it helped someone around the forum. Fixed some glitches too.

# 6 21-09-2003 , 09:29 AM
Subscriber
dunno maybe get a new 3D card? I had a Geforce 2 MX and it crashed frequently too, as well as some other annoying bugs in Maya. After i got myself a new TI4600 is started purring like a kitten....so maybe the card is your answer.

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 7 21-09-2003 , 09:55 AM
Subscriber
I had the same problem I had 1g of ram and I got radeon 9700. I reboot my computor and know it runs great. Know did maya work good for you at first or did it run like that after you installed it? Cause mine worked really good at first and it died out after about a year. If it did that right after you installed it then I don't know the problem.

# 8 21-09-2003 , 10:00 AM
Subscriber
I don't know if this is a problem and don't know if this is true but my teacher told me he read about this. If you have MSN messenger and run Maya at the same time after awhile maya doesn't work very well no more and you'll have to reinstall it or reboot your computor.

# 9 21-09-2003 , 12:54 PM
Could be a vid card issue then...I don't know if it was doing right after the install or not because I didn't use image planes for quite a while.

I;m past the image planes stage now on my current model so I'm not worrying about at the moment. going to upgrade mobo/cpu soon so I'll weather or not it keeps happening.

adldesigner: if need be I'll try what you suggested, thanks.

It's been my experience that Maya 5 is much less stable all round that 4.5 was, so it could just be something they'll iron out eventuallly.

# 10 01-10-2003 , 06:33 AM
Subscriber
I say it the RADEON card.

# 11 04-10-2003 , 11:21 PM
Nah, I think its a common bug lately. Im on 4.5 and experience similar issues. Mostly on a render or running fcheck, but now that you mentioned it, it sometimes locks up when switching viewpanels to and from full screen.

I also am running a Radeon card. Could it be that the latest drivers just aren't compatible with Maya? I'm going to try and install the original drivers to see if that fixes things. I'll post on the results.

Im going to try reinstalling Maya first to see what happens. If no luck, then I'll go for the video drivers downgrade.

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 12 05-10-2003 , 01:03 AM
i say "you should have bought it then"

# 13 05-10-2003 , 04:12 PM
Ok. I reinstalled Maya, reinstalled the older Radeon drivers, and I still can't render.

One thing I remember installing just before all this started happening was MSOffice. Has anybody heard of any issues between Office and Maya?

Zyko0tiK: That pretty much goes without saying. But unless you have a solution to a problem, remarks like that don't really help out. And as long as we're on the subject, can I see your receipt? user added image

user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu

Last edited by dave_baer; 05-10-2003 at 04:28 PM.
# 14 06-10-2003 , 09:49 AM
Well, after having an uneventful Sunday, I resorted to the arduous task of reformatting.... again. Eh, no worries, all my programs are installed to a different HD so all I gotta do is re-register them when I run them.
Anyway, after reinstalling Maya to a fresh OS I rendered my freighter scene with no problems. Then, I reinstalled Mental Ray 1.5 and tried again... CRASH! So I removed MR and tried again. Rendered once, twice, crash. Hrmmm... What could be the issue here? I can't render scenes now. I'm at a loss here and the fact of not knowing whats really going on has me in a bind. I don't want to spend money on a new card to find out that wasn't the problem. Any ideas?

user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu

Last edited by dave_baer; 06-10-2003 at 10:00 AM.
# 15 06-10-2003 , 11:18 PM
During the operation did you have the task manager open? See if it is running off of virtual memory or if it just crashes when the physical runs out. Another thing did you update your service pack with windows?