Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 27-02-2006 , 11:59 PM

Non-linear-Setting a pose doesn't take translate values

hey guys,
i have this real problem. i have made a character and sub-character nodes for this rig i have made. now, i am trying to make use of animate > create pose. when i do this Maya creates a pose in visor. then i drag the pose to the Trax into the track of each individual subcharacter node. then, when i play the animation to the frame where i dragged the pose, it should go to the pose, right? except that it does go to the pose, but, it does not change the translate values. only the rotate values are changed.
why should this be? user added image
some of my subcharacters have only rotate values added to the subcharacter node. but, on the feet i have included translate values to the subcharacter node. my main character node also has translate values added.
can anyone give me any suggestions? non-linear has been frustrating me big time...:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

# 2 01-03-2006 , 02:10 AM
Subscriber

An Attempt

I feel your pain. I've been trying to master the trax, and it's not being nice with me.

I'm not sure I totally understand your problem, but...

If your character includes the translate values (the outliner is your friend) then I'm guessing the error is within the trax.

When you have sub-characters, you also need to add the pose in the Trax under their bars. Say you have the follwing in the trax after you hit the funny button with a stick figue and an addition sign:

>Model
>Sub-Model1
>Sub-Model2

You need to add the pose not only to the Model's section, but also to the Sub-Model sections, such that:

>Model
[# Pose #]
>Sub-Model1
[# Pose #]
>Sub-Model2
[# Pose #]

Otherwise, check the character's value's and recreate the pose, and if all else fails, re-create the character. Well, that would be what I'd do.

# 3 02-03-2006 , 05:07 PM
did all that buddy,
still doesn't work.
the only solution that i could find was to go to the attribute editor for the pose and set all the values to ablsolute. that does make the feet translate.
the problem with that is though, that "absolute" means the the absolute value in the world where the pose was originally created. that means as long as i set the pose where i eventually want my character to come back to, its ok. but, if i make a standing pose at world (0,0,0) and then my character walks to (0,0,10) and then, i try to get it to the pose, then, if i turn the translate values to absolute, my feet go to the world (0,0,0).
so, the limbs get torn off........user added image

if you know any other solution... otherwise that's where i stand now...

# 4 02-03-2006 , 06:09 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by utpal
then i drag the pose to the Trax into the track of each individual subcharacter node

I clearly wasn't reading closely enough. Sorry.

Frankly, if the translation works when in absolute, but not when in relative, you have got me absolutely stumped. I'm in the middle of learning this for a class, so I can't pretend to know what I'm doing... I would try fiddling with the prefs on the clip... but I really don't know. Sorry.

# 5 03-03-2006 , 03:32 PM
its ok man.
at least half of it works for me. i still must be missing something. or maybe that's just the way the trax may be. i don't know. the maya help files are so crappy at times that i could only find a few line's explanation on this. and there it says the clip will show up in the unused poses section of the visor, but actually it shows up in the character poses section of the visor.
so, the maya help on the non-linear is even crappier than the non-linear itself.
if you are learning it for a class, then all the best..
thanks for trying to help out though... :-)

# 6 03-03-2006 , 06:54 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by utpal
maybe that's just the way the trax may be.

One of my friends qualified it as "a useless piece of garbage that provides nothing you can't get somewhere else in maya better anyway." While I'm not sure I totally agree (recent upgrades are supposed to be fantastic), it's certainly an noteworthy perspective.

the maya help files are so crappy at times that i could only find a few line's explanation on this.

Yeah. The subject is not well covered in the supplied books either.

there it says the clip will show up in the unused poses section of the visor, but actually it shows up in the character poses section of the visor.

That's odd. My clips do show up in the unused poses section, until I put them in the trax, whereupon they move (surprise?).

What version of Maya are you working on? 6 had serious trax issues that were supposed to be resolved in 7. I'm working on the latter, and while I'm having problems, it's nothing compared to what happened when I tried working with the trax in 6.

if you are learning it for a class, then all the best.

Unfortunately...no. My teacher knows less about maya than I do, and that certainly puts a damper on things. She has gone so far as to offer me advice that was simply wrong. It's been a very frustrating class.

thanks for trying to help out though... :-)

Wish I could do more.

Good luck.

# 7 05-03-2006 , 07:26 PM
yeah, trax should be a useful tool if you have to make repetitive movements for your character. but, it is so complicated and unpredictable. and it takes so long to setup. and you never know.. after putting in so much effort, it might still screw you over.
but, its ok. i do have access to a machine where 7 is installed. i will check it out, probably..