Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 07-05-2008 , 01:21 AM

Weight Painting

I have followed tut's on how to paint weights on my skin.

However, when I paint the weight on my bottom jaw, the top teeth still move with the lower?

As you will see in my example below, the top teeth are completely black. So why are they still moving with the bottom teeth?

[IMG]user added image[/IMG]

# 2 07-05-2008 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber
you need to remove the weights for the lower bones from the upper teeth. While you may spend all day painting on only top bones to the upper teeth there are weights created at default skin by maya and you need to remove those otherwise you will get stretching and moving like you describe.
Maya assumes that if there are vertices on the bottom teeth that are farther from the bottom bones then some of the top teeth vertices then they must all be going the same way, if that makes any sense.
If you open up your component editor and select vertices through the various tabs in the component editor you can edit values on skin weights.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 3 07-05-2008 , 01:50 AM
hey alexanderH,

I can't see any tab named 'vertices' in the component editor, therefore do I select the vertices that I don't want to move?

Then what do I change in the component editor to ensure it does not move with the bottom bone?

Would it be the smooth bind tab? In here there is a table of numbers which only confuse me! Sorry...

# 4 07-05-2008 , 02:49 AM
When I select the lower jaw bone, there is nothing to edit in any of the tabs in the component editor?

Could someone give a little help as to what I should be editing if possible?

Thanks in advance for any help...

# 5 07-05-2008 , 02:50 AM
Subscriber
give me a second, I don't have the models I worked on while painting weights, so I either have to rig something up quick or try and find a model.

Arch Viz Reel

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 6 07-05-2008 , 02:57 AM
thank you so much alexanderH, I really appreciate your help!

# 7 07-05-2008 , 02:57 AM
Subscriber
ok when you go into paint skin weights you want to select the mesh of your model, aka the teeth.
In your component editor go under the smooth skins tab.
Down the left it should have your mesh name and then all your vertices below it in Numbered order. In my image you can see how each verticy is influenced by what bone (bones are labeled across the columns).
Now it takes a bunch of tweaking but you will want to change the influence values for your verts to get them to work properly, but for you i think a simple solution is very easy.

If say vertex 210-245 are your upper teeth than you would select them, and find the bottom jaw bones and zero out the influence. When you move the bottom jaw afterwards you should see no movement in the upper teeth.
I hope that helps!

Attached Thumbnails

Arch Viz Reel

# 8 07-05-2008 , 03:09 AM
So if I am right, the area boxed in red in my screenshot should be changed to 0?

joint104 is the joint I am using for the bottom jaw. Therefore any vertices I do not want to move with this joint should simply be set to 0 in this box? I hope I am wrong as I have just done this and the vertice I used to try still moves with this bottom jaw bone!

[IMG]user added image[/IMG]

# 9 07-05-2008 , 03:38 AM
Subscriber
hmm yeah, can you share the file so I can take a look at it. I'd have thought that'd solve it.
If you wouldn't mind I'd take a look at it for you.
Oh and next time, name your stuff... lol makes things easieruser added image

Arch Viz Reel

# 10 07-05-2008 , 03:54 AM
that would be fantastic if you could take a look at it. I have attached the file to this post, hopefully correctly, if you need anything else then let me know.

The jaw is made up of a top left and right bone, as well as a bottom left and right bone. Since my last post I have tried moving the 'right' bones closer to the teeth to see if this helps but still the correct vertices are not showing under both top and bottom bones.

# 11 07-05-2008 , 04:03 AM
ok i am attaching the file to the post but for some reason it is not appearing. It certainly takes a lot longer to post which would suggest it is uploading my attached file but nothing appears in my post.

Do you have an email I could send it to?

# 12 07-05-2008 , 05:34 AM
Subscriber
Well dude, I have to be honest.
If I had the time to fix it I most definitely would, but you have problems spawning from poor modeling. I know this may not sound very nice, but let me explain. I cleaned up the verts you were having problems with and when I moved the bones I realized that there is so much overlapping geometry on your model. So I tried to do a quick cleanup, and well it revealed many time consuming problems. The geometry cleanup removed lots of unnecessary faces, but you have so many unconnected verts, incorrect faces, and weird normals.
In the attached picture you can see a brief example of what I found. In fact maya just crashed as I was trying to clean up some of the geometry for you. Not a good sign.

I'd honestly recommend practicing your modeling skills, and re-doing the model. This would probably take less time to remodel than it would to fix. The biggest issue here with the jaws is that they look like they were made of objects separate from the body, and they all need to spawn from one object or such issues occur.

There are issues I see with the rig, but I don't see them as giving you problems, but it is the mesh that needs a fix.

Attached Thumbnails

Arch Viz Reel

# 13 07-05-2008 , 05:42 AM
jeez, i was hoping there would be a simple solution! Got to hand this project in on tomorrow!

oh well I will have another go at modelling the shark I think. As I say its my first time ever using maya so thats prob where all my problems come in...

Thanks so much for taking time out to help me alexanderH, you have saved me the rest of tonight trying to fix an unfixable error! Time for re-modelling me thinks...

# 14 07-05-2008 , 05:50 AM
Subscriber
sorry for the bad news dude. Seems like a lot to take on so early in your learning. But I mean your well on your way so keep it up. Just a piece of advice to keep in mind for modeling organics and things like characters, if you have 2 pieces of geometry which will face each other, like your teeth and the jaws, delete the faces in between them and then merge the vertices together. You will get smooth geometry and then you will erase many of the problems your shark currently hasuser added image

Arch Viz Reel