Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 46 10-11-2014 , 12:08 PM
SM Tea Boy

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 47 11-11-2014 , 04:11 PM
Thank you David.

# 48 12-11-2014 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber
Hi David,

Thanks for the reply to my 'Can't copy UVs' post. They were definitely flattened.

I still can't copy them across to the other legs. I even went back into Maya and deleted 3 of the legs and then duplicated the remaining one 3 times, just to make sure i was working with matching topolgy but it still wouldn't copy across in UVLayout.

The copy function in UVLayout is definitely working because i tried it with 4 simple cubes that i exported from Maya and it worked perfectly!

In the end I just manually did it for all four legs. It didn't take long.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Cheers,

Jamie

# 49 25-11-2014 , 02:41 PM
SM Tea Boy
VRay done at last, sorry about the delay I wanted to hold it till VRay 3 came out of beta

Go here for the tutorial and larger images https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...om/?tut_id=364

Enjoy any questions feel free to ask.
David user added image

Attachment 1 top image: VRay lit from the front, color grade A
Attachment 2 middle image: VRay lit from the front, color grade B
Attachment 3 bottom image: Mental ray backlit

Attached Thumbnails

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 50 03-12-2014 , 01:53 AM
Subscriber
I have a quick question. I just got the Vray 3 interiors tutorial and I'm working my way through the series. I am using Maya 2015 Ext 1 SP5 with VRay 3. I notice that both in IPR mode and in the viewport window I do not get any GI rendering. My setup, I believe, is exactly what you have in the tutorial. If I click for a render, the GI comes through but both Vray RT and the Vray Viewport do not render GI. Is there some special check box I need to set for this to work?

# 51 03-12-2014 , 02:23 AM
SM Tea Boy
rimcrazy whats your GI depth set to under the RT settings? and what gfx card do you have in the machine vray rt can be a bit particular about the gfx card.

# 52 03-12-2014 , 04:02 AM
Subscriber
Hi David,

Thanks for the quick response. The GI depth is set to 3, the Trace depth is set to 5. I have an NVidia K5000 Quadro card with 4Gb of video Ram. Should be more than enough I would think. I just checked with the NVidia website and I am running the latest version of Quadro driver, 340.66.

Last edited by rimcrazy; 03-12-2014 at 04:15 AM.
# 53 20-12-2014 , 05:52 PM
Subscriber

merge vertex

Hi and thank you for a Great tut. Im having problem in video 2. When you convert nurbs to poly and are merging vertexes in the New poly object. I cant Get the vertexes merget.

# 54 24-12-2014 , 01:02 PM
Great tuts. Thx very much David. When's the Maxwell Render tut coming ?

# 55 24-12-2014 , 01:07 PM
Subscriber
I'm still having the same issue with problem that GI renders do not appear in the Viewport or IPR renders. Is there something else I need to look at?

# 56 26-12-2014 , 05:59 PM
rimcrazy use render settings from project files and compare them with yours OR restore default render setting and check GI, then render.

# 57 16-01-2015 , 04:50 AM
Subscriber
Hey David. I'm about the start the UV Layoit and it's going to be my first time with that software. If I buy the student version will work for what we do here in this tutorial? Or should better download the hobbiest trial?? Thanks!!!

# 58 16-01-2015 , 10:27 AM
SM Tea Boy
Hi serkestudio the student version should be just fine

Hope you enjoy the tutorial
David

# 59 29-01-2015 , 02:41 AM
Subscriber
Hey David, I just finished the modeling, still want to add a couple things but I'll start the mapping first. But I have a question out of subject and you might help me. Take a look to my occlusion....why is there so much "noise" Itried moving the pixels from 72 to 150 and nothing, you can see this is a big image too. Im putting 128 samples, spread 0.7, max distance 500, and reflective on... what can I do to get an smoother image? thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails
# 60 29-01-2015 , 02:15 PM
SM Tea Boy
The noise in this case I believe is coming from the AA not being high enough, not the AO.

Go into the render settings, then quality, then turn up your unified sampling quality to around 1 and try again.

I hope you're enjoying the tutorial thus far user added image
All the best
Dave