Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-02-2012 , 10:15 AM

targa transparency

Anyone knows how to render targa that has a transparent blackground like a png?

thanks

# 2 02-02-2012 , 10:18 AM
Lifetime Member
in the render globals make sure you are rendering with an Alpha channel and not just rgb

Under renderable cameras check Alpha channel (Mask)

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 02-02-2012 at 10:26 AM.
# 3 02-02-2012 , 10:30 AM
Alpha channel(mask) is already ticked.

I am rendering in passes and even if i rendered in png, the transparency still is a black background, very odd..

# 4 02-02-2012 , 10:36 AM
Lifetime Member
it won't look transparent straight out of Maya.. if you use it in a compositing app like After Effects it will use the Alpha channel to create the transparency.
If you want just an image you need to take the Targa into an image editor like Photoshop and select the Alpha channel as a mask or alternatively as a selection and delete the black background.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 02-02-2012 , 10:52 AM
How do i use the alpha channel to create the transparency in after effects? It said that i have a unlabeled alpha channel when i imported it and none of the options help to create the transparency..

Thanks for the help so faruser added image