Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 27-04-2009 , 02:41 AM

I just want to meet people in animation

Hi my name is Joshua Palmer and I am trying to get into maya. I am also trying to find people who know how to use it and give me advice. I am new so first of all I would like to meet people and hopefully start up an informational freindship where we can swap information back and forth. but first of all I got a questen. I still need to get maya so I don't have it yet. any ideas on where I can get it so I can get started.user added image I hope we can really work together at this so I to can become an animator

Joshua Palmer
# 2 27-04-2009 , 07:34 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi and welcome Joshua

Since you are new and are still exploring the world of 3d i shall try to be nice in my response;
" I am trying to get into maya"
-try not....do or do not there is no try.
" I am also trying to find people who know how to use it and give me advice. I am new so first of all I would like to meet people and hopefully start up an informational freindship where we can swap information back and forth"
-This will probably never happen, most people who are in the highend segment , don't have time to tutor a tenderfoot like yourself, unless you have a lot of money, then ofcourse a lot of people suddenly make time for you user added image and to answer to your response you probably want to give:......Yes it is about money, because to be quite honest you have nothing to bring into this informational relationship regarding 3d so your informational counterpart wouldn't benefit from it.user added image
I believe that up until a certain point you will have to do it all for yourselve, buy books, dvd's ,do a course and when you reach a certain skilllevel you"ll see you have to make a showreel so that companies know what you are about and when a company takes you in, you will have your informational relationships and when it's crunch time the information will ooze through your pores into the nightly hours.....LOL
And this will only happen if you persist and will probably take a couple of years of your life.

To answer your last question;
- You can buy Maya at your reseller
- you can download a ple/trial version
-You can do the unspoken thing(illegal download)
- if you are a student you can buy a student version.

Welcome to the world of 3Duser added image

# 3 27-04-2009 , 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by mastone
Hi and welcome Joshua

Since you are new and are still exploring the world of 3d i shall try to be nice in my response;
" I am trying to get into maya"
-try not....do or do not there is no try.
" I am also trying to find people who know how to use it and give me advice. I am new so first of all I would like to meet people and hopefully start up an informational freindship where we can swap information back and forth"
-This will probably never happen, most people who are in the highend segment , don't have time to tutor a tenderfoot like yourself, unless you have a lot of money, then ofcourse a lot of people suddenly make time for you user added image and to answer to your response you probably want to give:......Yes it is about money, because to be quite honest you have nothing to bring into this informational relationship regarding 3d so your informational counterpart wouldn't benefit from it.user added image
I believe that up until a certain point you will have to do it all for yourselve, buy books, dvd's ,do a course and when you reach a certain skilllevel you"ll see you have to make a showreel so that companies know what you are about and when a company takes you in, you will have your informational relationships and when it's crunch time the information will ooze through your pores into the nightly hours.....LOL
And this will only happen if you persist and will probably take a couple of years of your life.

To answer your last question;
- You can buy Maya at your reseller
- you can download a ple/trial version
-You can do the unspoken thing(illegal download)
- if you are a student you can buy a student version.

Welcome to the world of 3Duser added image

/Agree

Honestly Mastone, its hard to give answers to such questions and not sound mean (I was too lazy to do what you did, so I'm jumping onto your wagon lol user added image)

Palmtree27, online communities are there for such reasons, and as far as getting questions answered, you're probably not going to get better than this for free as the people here are pretty cool and helpful. My advice is this, you're probably not going to be any good at it if you're waiting for someone to make it easy for you. It will take a lot of time and practice and doing some things that will bore you to death, and having someone spoon feed you will most likely make it difficult to retain the information. Got a little more wordy than I planned so I'm outta here user added image

- Genny
# 4 28-04-2009 , 04:10 AM
Subscriber
I think the best advice that I could give for someone in your situation would be to head to the autodesk website and get the Personal Learning Edition. If I remember correctly anything you produce with it is going to have watermarks on it. While that is a downer it will give you a chance to dive into the program itself without taking a $2000-5000 hit financially.

I would also look into any art/architecture degrees in your area. That way you get to go to school for 3D graphics and get that one on one you sound like you're looking for and as a bonus you get the student discount. They may not offer Maya itself but they may use something like 3D Studio Max or Lightwave. While the interface may be different the concepts you will learn apply across the board i.e Lighting, rendering, compositing, modeling, animation, and workflow.

Most importantly don't get discouraged! Keep in mind that anything that's worth doing is usually going to be difficult. You may end up being a natural at this but more than likely you're in for a learning curve. Keep trying and keep surfing the forums. I've learned more just reading other people's suggestions to other people's projects than through any other method. That usually answers a question I had or cleares things up for me without having to directly ask. This prevents the "Oh look its the N+1 post about how to extrude...SKIP! Or no NURBS aren't a type of delicous cookie, the forum has a search feature please use it." reposts that will probably have you utilizing the search function anyway.

If you see a suggestion or solution or method that was especially good that you want to use later print it out as a reference and make your own personal Maya help book. (Just don't try to SELL the book... that's liable to get you arrested or at the very least a nasty-gram or two). If your a beginner (like me) you tend to get really frustrated trying to surf the forums all over again looking for a tip or trick one of the experts dished out and you can't remember which part of the forum it was on. (and you're probably already frustrated because what you have in your head and on paper doesn't match what's coming out on the screen because of your skill level.) So print it out and save it! I have this picture I saw showing how to put together the ambient occulsion files in photoshop to help get a particular look that I STILL can't find.

Anyway that's enough from me. Good luck!
:blush:

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 5 28-04-2009 , 04:22 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

# 6 28-04-2009 , 09:47 PM
Subscriber
well said by Mastone, he brings up a lot of valid points

Originally posted by CGWolfgang
I think the best advice that I could give for someone in your situation would be to head to the autodesk website and get the Personal Learning Edition. If I remember correctly anything you produce with it is going to have watermarks on it. While that is a downer it will give you a chance to dive into the program itself without taking a $2000-5000 hit financially.

i thought (haven't seen for myself yet) that they stopped the PLE and only have Complete and Unlimited

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 28-04-2009 , 10:30 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yes, they've stopped providing the PLE, so unfortunately that's not an option anymore. They do have a 30-day trial, which isn't nearly long enough to get a good feel for the program, but give it a shot.

# 8 29-04-2009 , 07:00 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
No i think they will bring it back up the ple i mean, i thought i read it in the latest 3d world

# 9 29-04-2009 , 07:12 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
yeah, removing the PLE was a mistake (apparently)
But they this a couple of months ago and still havent sorted it....