Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 08-09-2008 , 11:26 PM

Compass Dissapears when maximized

I am having trouble with my copy of Maya. When I maximize the app on my widescreen laptop the compass and half the work surface dissapears. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what has caused this and any remedies to solve it?
Cheers

# 2 09-09-2008 , 04:47 AM
Sounds like your system might think it has 2 monitors, and is stretching the app across "both." Check your display settings. Also, what graphics card do you have. And finally, screenshot?

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 3 09-09-2008 , 09:44 PM
Its only the Compass itself though. It still has the Y X and Z but not the graphics. Ive attached a file with the example on it. Hope you can help. As for it trying to send over two monitors wouldn't it crop the whole of the screen??

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 09-09-2008 , 11:07 PM
Sorry. Misunderstood. That's what I thought you meant... cropping the whole screen, starting at the compass. What about half your work surface... I don't really see anything missing, maybe because I have almost every menu hidden on mine and I don't remember the standard interface anymore :<

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 5 10-09-2008 , 03:51 PM
This is a wild guess so...

You said you were using a laptop... What graphics would the laptop be using? If the laptop uses integrated graphics, that might be the cause since your grid looks like its been clipped on the right. This is the standard perspective view right? The clipping planes, camera properties and all that hasn't been modified, I presume.

You are also running Vista without transparencies, correct? I think transparencies sometimes interfere with Maya.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 6 10-09-2008 , 11:32 PM
Intergrated Intel Graphic chipset. On a laptop using Vista correct. As for the transparencies i'm not sure. The screen shot shows the plane in perspective view with no attributes changed from default.

# 7 11-09-2008 , 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Wanmac
Intergrated Intel Graphic chipset. On a laptop using Vista correct. As for the transparencies i'm not sure. The screen shot shows the plane in perspective view with no attributes changed from default.

If you are in the the default view, then you shouldn't have a bit of the plane clipped. Could be part of the same problem as the compass. Does moving the camera around resolve the problem - eg. it flickers on and off?

My dodgy Radeon 9550SE does a similair thing sometimes when I'm modelling - part of the grid or mesh disappears as it has poor hardware support for clipping and transparencies. An integrated Intel chipset is going to be much worse than my mostly bearable Radeon, so I would suggest, if you have access to another computer with a dedicated graphics card (doesn't matter if its an old-ish two year one), to install Maya on it and see it disappears.

You can also try to update the drivers, but I don't know whether integrated graphics gets monthly driver updates, so that may not be an option.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!