Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-06-2009 , 10:53 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Assigning shaders issue

I have a surface shader with a mia_amb_oclusion connected to the out colour of it
But when ever I try to assign it to objects (quite low poly objects) it takes a very long time, longer with more objects at once and if I try to assign it to several objects at once maya crashes
what is causing this? Ive never had this problem before

# 2 08-06-2009 , 02:50 AM
Technical Director
Surface shaders = death to most computers. Of all the computers I've used in production, none of them liked them; which is strange as everything else is built off of them.

One way you could get around this, it create a lambert, set it's color to zero, and map the out color of the ambient occlusion shader to either it's ambient color, or incandescence. I can't check at the moment, but what it should do, is mimic the surface shader.

Give it a go!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 08-06-2009 , 08:37 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
Thanks, it worked user added image
seems strange though, whats so special about surface shaders?

# 4 09-06-2009 , 04:51 PM
Technical Director
I'm not too sure, as all the other surface types use the surface shader as a base. What I'm guessing is that it's there, but not supposed to be used. Much like the mental ray standard shaders(mib_ilum_blinn) for example. Best to stay away from them however.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 10-06-2009 , 03:48 PM
Subscriber
I have that problem at times - but only when I have alot of poly`s eg Grimlock (it did it alot on him). Before setting the surface shader press 4 for wire frame view and then switch back once you have the shader on it.

# 6 10-06-2009 , 04:18 PM
Level 32 pachyderm