Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 10-02-2011 , 11:07 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok joined the body....what do you all think?? or should I scrap it and start again??

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 10-02-2011 , 12:07 PM
Subscriber
its looking cool keep going - you know you only have 18 days left - starting again would not be a good idea.

I`m just not sold on the orange colour

# 18 10-02-2011 , 12:57 PM
The Nurb Herd
hey man, not read the thread... is this a boat? if it is, i think its a cool idea. looks good. if its not, then why not? haha

whats with the blotchy final gather tho?

# 19 10-02-2011 , 01:09 PM
Lifetime Member
Bahahaha Tweety its not going to be orange, thanks man

Its just an IBL Dom with shitty fianl gather...I actually quite like it like that...gives it an unfinished dirty look LOL like my 4WD at the moment....yeh its a boat mate...Im going for a hydrofoil arrangement, everyone does cars, spaceships etc etc so I thought a boat would be nice for a change...I was thinking of a land sail...Mars orientated..you know desert kinda thing...seeing I live in a desert but went the foil instead....thanks mate

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 20 10-02-2011 , 01:25 PM
Lifetime Member
Which colour would you like Tweety??

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 21 10-02-2011 , 02:41 PM
I know how it is bullet. Im in the printing field layout out things tediously all day and fixing other peoples sloppy layouts. At that point mayas simplicity is menial tasks is almost comforting.

I do like the design of the new hydrofoil. I think this is the only watercraft in the challenge so nice originality.

... and you could still put guns on it...

# 22 10-02-2011 , 02:42 PM
I would avoid black because IMO you lose a lot of detail to lighting.

# 23 10-02-2011 , 04:24 PM
Subscriber
saying that I like the black and yellow one. - just to be a pain in the ***

# 24 10-02-2011 , 08:54 PM
*shakes fist in the air*

How DARE you!

Just be careful with lighting with black. While modeling cars i noticed using black makes some finer detail lost to shadows. A way to fix that is more lights at lower intensity but even that can cause some unexpected problems.

... and i like green.

# 25 10-02-2011 , 09:03 PM
EduSciVis-er
Or make it a quite dark grey or purple. Nothing is really truly black anyway.

# 26 10-02-2011 , 09:32 PM
Lifetime Member
bahahahah you guys are great.

James Bond guns TD? you know a couple of 50 cal that pop up in the front and maybe a small rocket pod popping up in the rear...LOL...nah she is a racer...

To be honest TD I wasnt going to join...after the last 3 months with Civil drawings and design, now I have been hit with the Lanscape/Artwork designs and Im back in the crap...I havent really wanted to touch Maya for over a month, spending all day redesigning stuff...when I get home after 13 hours mate I just couldnt be bothered. As this seemed simple enough I have forced myself really...but yes you are correct, no stress, no road or pipe levels to worry about and I dont have 10-20 people relying on me to peg stuff out for them. I can grab a beer and sit down an relax in a way...Im going to do art classes at the end of the year...something I have always wanted to do, brush up on my drawing skills. The wife is already calling ma an 'arty farty' LOL...she doesnt understand the relaxing nature of art and Maya as well, it takes my mind off of the tedious Surveying...if only briefly, and cheers mate I like the newer design too.

Yeh stwert how did you bloody know??? I was actually going to give it a Deep Purple irradescent look or just plain gloss!!! Im going to check out some colour schemes on the weekend.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 27 11-02-2011 , 05:31 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok had a sly hour in the crib room...so I did the foil attachment....basically the centre 'pole' is shaped like a vertical wing...bolted to the centre of the frame. The foil itself has carbon fibre cables that loop through the top of the centre pole and are tensioned within the box you see on top.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 11-02-2011 at 05:31 AM. Reason: attach image
# 28 11-02-2011 , 08:06 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Bullet, good job mate.

It reminds me of the Wipeout game vehicles - very cool.

J

# 29 11-02-2011 , 09:06 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL thanks J....I was trying to bloody remember the game today!! wow that is scary!! I used to play it ALL the time...loved it...was a classic in its day.

bullet1968

# 30 11-02-2011 , 10:05 AM
Subscriber
i'm digging it mate.
Not sure about the color scheme's though...But then again, Wipe out did have all those bright neon colors on their ships didn't it? LoL.

All in all i like the design, Though as i look at it, i see more of a racing boat, but two ski's under the front to hold the nose up for less water resistance. what do they call those...hydrofoil boats i think?

Either way, Looks good user added image
G-man