Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-07-2003 , 06:27 PM

IK problem

me again user added image

I have a new question now. I want to make it so that I can move the body of my spider whilst keeping the legs planted on the ground.

Each of the legs is parented to the main root bone in the skeleton and so whenever I move the root bone all of the legs (and the whole model) moves too. Is there a way of using locators or nulls (or whatever means) to control this?

Cheers

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 2 03-07-2003 , 08:51 PM
Subscriber
yes, you create ik handles to the end of the leg - they need not go all the way to root. and then you parent the handle to a locator or other dummy object. set a key for the dummy object. and if you move the root the foot will stay in place. of course if you pull too hard, the foot will move - it is on a "rubber" string connected to ik handle.

hope that gets you started. you need make you own mistakes to master it user added image

p.s.: the key setting is not needed - but in animation you might want to set a key once the foot moved in place. and set a key again before it shall be moved away. but i think you know more about animation than i do :p

Last edited by BabyDuck; 03-07-2003 at 08:57 PM.
# 3 03-07-2003 , 09:21 PM
thanks babyduck, I managed to sort it now (i'm not sure how it will stand up to animating but we'll see!!) check out the WIP thread and you can see the results. It's pretty cool i think

thanks for the reply user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB