Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 30-06-2003 , 04:50 PM
Subscriber

XP Home Edition

On the Maya website it says that it works on Windows XP Professional but I was wondering if it works on XP Home Edition as I have not got XP Professional?

# 2 30-06-2003 , 05:45 PM
I have XP Home and dont have a problem user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 3 30-06-2003 , 06:34 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for that.
It helps because I thought that I might have to buy XP Professional.

Oh, one more thing, as a beginner who is about the purchase the software, how is the software to start using from scratch?
I have only ever used form z before on 3D modelling but I thoughts Maya is really for animation?

# 4 23-07-2003 , 02:14 PM

Windows Home

I believe it states MAYA works with Windows XP because of the NTFS filing system. On the Home edition, you can choose either FAT32 or NTFS. By default, it uses NTFS.

-SuperDave71user added image

"Yeah I want my Cheezy Poofs!"
# 5 24-07-2003 , 06:39 AM
Stephen,

Maya is VERY different from FormZ. I've used FormZ for about 6 years.

The beauty of Maya is that there is a modelling/construction history. That way you can for example tweak your profiles for a loft and the lofted surface is updated in real time.

And as you remarked, Maya is an animation tool while FormZ is not. Fundemental difference. This is where you will probably need to focus your learning. There are no tools that carry over from FormZ in this respect.

Also, Maya has one of the most powerful dynamics systems out there. This eases many common animation tasks that involve real-world forces.

You'll both love and hate Maya within days. If you are already competent at modelling I would focus on lighting and texturing in Maya. Then on to animation. IMHO.

By the way, I do miss a good bevelling/rounding tool a la FormZ in Maya.

Can't have it all... where would you put it? (Steven Wright)

# 6 26-07-2003 , 02:59 AM
Subscriber
I would get XP pro.

Not that it differs much from XP Home but Pro has better networking abilities and is more all round stable....i think

alex

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 7 26-07-2003 , 07:19 PM
Subscriber
the reason maya works on XP pro and home, 2000, NT etc is cos theyre all using the same kernel which is a slight variation of the NT kernel, they have ports to linux and that but they run on a diff kernel

it doesnt work on 98, 95 etc cos the kernel is different, u can try it, itll tell u then

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 8 03-08-2003 , 10:08 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by stephen20
Thanks for that.
It helps because I thought that I might have to buy XP Professional.

Oh, one more thing, as a beginner who is about the purchase the software, how is the software to start using from scratch?
I have only ever used form z before on 3D modelling but I thoughts Maya is really for animation?

a suggestion, get the PLE (personal learning edition) of maya, which is free and test it. if your have no problem to install and use it, then you would be fine with a commercial version of maya. and for learning purposes it does work pretty well. the limitation that the renders have a watermark and that you cannot use it commercially by the license, does not hinder you to learn all tools in maya. right now the ple is version 4.5 - but that does not mean everything changes in 5.0 user added image

edit: oops, i just checked www.alias.com and the ple 5.0 is out - unfortunately not for download yet - but easier to spend $ 20 on the cd, then to spend $ 2000+ and not be happy with maya ....

Last edited by BabyDuck; 03-08-2003 at 10:14 AM.