Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 19-04-2006 , 03:15 AM

Maya 7 imageplane problem plz help

hi everyone please help if you know something .see the image

I import image plane(very simple imageplane) but the problem is that the grid is behind the imageplane. so i can not see the grid.

I tried the changing of xyz center no changing at all.
tried the alpha Gain but only make it transprancy, it is hard to see the imageplane.

tried attached to camera off. no changing

I try everything that i could but no sulution, plz help if you know something. say something.

kind regards Antonio Australia

Attached Thumbnails

:bow:
# 2 02-05-2006 , 02:19 AM
19 year Veteran

the problem is that the grid is behind the imageplane. so i can not see the grid.

Could be ( if I understand you correctly ) you have your camera set to front view, hence your grid being behind the image plain.

Set your camera to perspective view and then you will be able to see your grid. If thats what your wanting.

# 3 03-05-2006 , 02:56 PM

image plane

thanks for replay, I know in perspective view I see the image plane behibd the grid, but in front view not. but if I draw curve in perspective view I can not edit it, it is to hard, but only in side view and front vies and top vies easy to edit the curve or geometry, so i need to see the imageplane behind the grid in all vies, please help of you know something,

thanks.

# 4 03-05-2006 , 10:31 PM
19 year Veteran
Ok, I see what your talking about now. Here is what the deal is. The Front, Side, and Top views were basicly made for drawing curves and rigging.The perspective view is primarily for modeling and various animation methods. Maya cannot place the grid the way you want( behind a image plain ) in the Front, Top, and Side views because the work flow for those views are 2D, not 3D. For example, when you draw a curve on Top view to make a pot or something ( depending on your project ) you can scale, rotate, and translate your curve in your perspective view to make whatever you need.

The basic thing to remember is that the Top, Side, and Front views are 2D and the perspective view is 3D.

Here are a couple of pics to show all the perspectives. Notice the Front, Top, and Side views only show one side of the curve ( thus being 2D ). And when you look at the perspective view ( which is 3D ) , you can see around the object.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by THX1138; 03-05-2006 at 10:39 PM.
# 5 03-05-2006 , 10:32 PM
19 year Veteran
Here is a pic of the curve that has been revolved to make a pot.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 09-05-2006 , 02:27 AM

imageplane

thanks THX1138 for replay. but the problem is not about the curve. about the imageplane . in default view normaly in side-top-front view imageplane is behind the grid , but what happend to me, now imageplane is before the grid, so it is to hard see the grid. I don,t know how happend.
so look at the picture (my imageplane) and see what i.m talking about. forget about the curve. please look at it and see what can you tell me about it.please anyone know something say something. that is very weird problm. maybe one day happend to you.

# 7 09-05-2006 , 01:01 PM
Subscriber
i would blow out your preference file for maya but that is me ...you will lose any scripts and everything you might have in it. I have done it before and it usually fixes my problems ...that is a shot or your video card drivers usually other issues but not at this point i think

just a shot ...never got that sort of issue

Last edited by mmoore5553; 09-05-2006 at 01:16 PM.
# 8 09-05-2006 , 01:06 PM
Subscriber
Hiya.

Try changing the depth of your image plane (you'll find this attribute in the channel box or attribute editor when you have your camera selected), to something big like 1000, or try changing your center z (I think) to 1. If neither of these work, would you post up a pic of the attribute editor with the image plane selected so we can have a look at your settings user added image

LisaG

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 9 09-05-2006 , 02:20 PM
19 year Veteran
Is this what your wanting your image plain to look like in the perspective view panel?

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 11-05-2006 , 01:59 PM

maya imageplane problem

hi guys.

yhanks for all replay's, i think some of yours did not still understand what is going on. here i attached image of my maya screen with all image plane and attribute editor. so have a look. normaly in maya when you have imageplane in all views , in front view-topview-sideview the image plane should be behind the grid not in the infront of grid only in perspective view is different, but with my maya i see the imageplane in top-side-front view infront of the grid. so if want in front view start to modeling the car it is very hard to move the vertex. because i can not see the grid. so i trid the changing of imageplane like center of xyz or alphagain , but nothing change. so i,m exheusted. please help.

thanks guy's have look at the image clearly.

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 11-05-2006 , 02:03 PM
Subscriber
okay i had this once ..i had to delete prefs folder and then open maya and it set everythign back but i did lose every shelf option and other settings ...

might help but not sure ..i only had it in one view

# 12 12-05-2006 , 01:39 AM
19 year Veteran

normaly in maya when you have imageplane in all views , in front view-topview-sideview the image plane should be behind the grid not in the infront of grid only in perspective view is different, but with my maya i see the imageplane in top-side-front view infront of the grid.

I have never ever ( to my knowledge ) been able to move or seen anyone move a image plain behind the grid display in Top, Front, and Side views. Even the online tuts and books that I have read have never shown that kind of a feature.

The Top, Side, and Front views were never designed to work in 3 dimentions like the perspective does, they are 2D. Thats why the grid cannot move infront of your image plain. in those 3 views. The only thing you can do that comes close to what you want is to reduce the opacity ( via alpha gain ) on your image plains.

If there is anyone has been able to do this, please drop by and explain how to do it.

# 13 12-05-2006 , 04:10 AM

imageplane problem

thanks guys for replay,
in maya when apply an imageplane to the project in top-front-side view you see the imageplane behind the grid, so you can easly draw curve or work with geometry. that is default maya setting. please apply a imageplae to your new project and see how looks like in this three view and compare with my imageplane and than you see different. any way i found the solution. It is problem with videocard. i,m using laptop compaq
with integred videocard, so the videocard is not enough to display the image. so i need change my videocard. but it is unpossible.because it is laptop. I try with desktop computer with gforce 128 mb ram it is perfect.
so all laptop with integred videocard are display same problem . mostly with ATI videocard. so never ever buy a laptop without videocard (128-256mb ram).also Ati are very bad for 3d animation. I have to buy a new laptop cost me $2780 ,
thanks for all replay's . please in the future anyone has same problem tell them it is videocard. best and goodluck with animation

# 14 12-05-2006 , 11:06 AM
19 year Veteran
With all do respect, I think this is boiling down to you not fully understanding how the grid properties work in the Front, Side, and Top, view panels. Now I could very well be wrong about it, but I tried to do it on my desktop PC and I could not get the grid in front of my image plain. The best I could do was reduce the opacity of the plain to see the grid.

About the ATI video card theory. You can use a 128-250 mb ATI card, and still make some really good CG animation. I cant say they are the best and I cant say they are the worst, But I do believe ( and I could be wrong ) that your ATI video card has nothing to with your grid properties not working the way you want.

Again, I mean no dissrespect to you.

# 15 12-05-2006 , 02:07 PM
Subscriber
You know what, I've just taken a look at my image plane setup that I'm using at work, and my grid is behind the image plane. Maybe this can't be changed, I've never really thought about it before, as long as my geo is infront of the image plane. I suppose if you want the grid to show, it would be best to apply your images to some poly planes or similar. I do think that the best way to work though is to have them attached to your camera, that way you can still see your image even if you switch to x-ray or wireframe mode.

LisaG

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/