Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 18-01-2005 , 10:10 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

My Graphic Novel

Hey Dudes and Dudettes

Just to let you know, that my online graphic novel has now been unleashed on my site. The first couple of pages are there for everyones perusal. Please drop me an email via the contact there and tell me your thoughts or worse, Id appreciate it.

Enjoy
_J

# 2 19-01-2005 , 05:32 PM
Subscriber
Looking great, although I can't read the text on my tiny 14" monitor user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 3 19-01-2005 , 05:49 PM
Hi Blomkaal

Just right click> open link in the new window and save the image to your machine, then open in PS or what ever you have and you should be okay.

Thanks, glad you like it

_J

# 4 19-01-2005 , 06:10 PM
This is looking great Jango. I have tons of respect for you to be able to do this, it's such a huge undertaking, not just the execution, but also the pre-planning involved.

My only critique for this is to add more elements to the scenes. As it is now they are empty, just the ship and rock. I don't know if you are matte painting any of this, but I'd get some Paint FX stuff going on, or maybe add some smaller frames, close up shots, etc...

The main reason I started learning 3D about 2 years ago was to do a graphic novel. I quickly learned I have a long ways to go in order to do it right. But seeing your work I know it's possible.

I look forward to seeing more.

Chad

# 5 19-01-2005 , 07:19 PM
Hi Chad
Many thanks for you comments. The scenes do fill up as we go along thru the story, I did want that emptyness in the opening shots. Once we hit the second chapter it will visually start to fill up, as theres a town and interiors to be shot, and more people.

But on this point, my friend and I (who is also doing his own 3d graphic novel) were discussing shots in various comics/novels etc and were saying that theres really very few shots in them with loads of detail. Its usually the opening shot that establishes the scenes of the whole chapter/story.

Its nice to hear that somebody else wants to do their own novel too. If you want any crit or whatever feel free to email me. I am actually a 3d comic artist. Its my day job. Ive been doing it for 5 years, and did many long hours in the beginning, 15hrs+ a day, but I learnt a hell of alot. I work at News International/The Sun newspaper doing their daily cartoon strip, The Premier, we use Maya and PS. I used to do the Striker Cartoon but left shortly after it became a weekly comic, that was where I learnt 'the trade'. Although I absolutely love animated movies etc, I just adore comics and have found them more challenging to do because people will just look for things to pick at and study the images and look for 'the things that are wrong', whereas animation, you can get away with more because its gone in the blink of an eye.

Thanks again
_J

# 6 19-01-2005 , 07:42 PM
That's cool. Personally I just don't have all the 3D knowledge to tackle a whole comic just yet. I'm just barely getting past the whole modeling stage. Then it will be on to learning texturing, shaders, lighting, etc. I'm thinking that maybe in a year or so I will be up to the level I'd like to be at to tackle my graphic novel.

I'll definitely be watching your progress, and I'm taking notes! LOL

# 7 19-01-2005 , 07:43 PM
Haha Cool

Well dont hesitate if you need advice

_J

# 8 24-01-2005 , 10:27 PM
Heya Jango, How are ya doing bud? Well, you never cease to amaze me with your work, I think it is looking absolutely great, keep up the good work Jango....looking forward to seeing some more of it....user added image

Regards,
MainlineX user added image

-------------------------------------------
# 9 25-01-2005 , 11:33 AM
MX
Hey Dude, how ya doing? Glad you like, there should be an update next week. Couple of new pages are nearly done. Had a lot of hassle with the dog fur last week or so. Had to resort to really hi res maps. As its short fur you cant tell the difference anyway until you are really close up.

Thanks for your kind words

Take it easy
_J

# 10 21-02-2005 , 04:18 PM
Dudes and Dudettes

Site updated at last!!!! Hooray!!! God its been hell!!! long renders, mattes etc. God!!!

Please go and enjoy the 2 new installments and the dog in the 3d gallery

Regards to all

_J

# 11 21-02-2005 , 09:01 PM
Peltra

Could I please have this image removed until permission to use is given. Mike or Kevin would you mind, dudes as Im trying to land it a contract right now.

Dont wanna sound like a spoilt brat but it does say copyright on my site. By all means visit the site but this is dumbass!!

Many thanks
Jango

Last edited by Jay; 21-02-2005 at 09:05 PM.
# 12 21-02-2005 , 11:00 PM
Technical Director
Sorry about that. I guess you missed the message on msn, but I can respect that. sorry. I had to leave my computer. I have deleted the post.

And again, I am sorry.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Last edited by NextDesign; 21-02-2005 at 11:03 PM.
# 13 22-02-2005 , 09:46 AM
Hey dude

Yeah accepted, no probs. Yeah Idid see msn but youd shot ya bolt so quick after posting here and sending me the link. Naughty!!

_J