Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 76 15-01-2007 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
honestly dont have the room 4 them,

also snakes dont have ears. (and i still don`t want to do them).

dont think this model wil ever make it into zbrush

# 77 15-01-2007 , 08:20 PM
You can always make a simple hol like I did then model it in all it's complexity.

I don't like the snakes you should fined some reference.
And shirnk them they are to fat. The more snake you add the better

goksimaster
# 78 16-01-2007 , 04:46 AM
Subscriber
The tip of the tail looks off (the rattle) they are made up of segments encased inside the last that freely moves around rather than all one entity. Though overall definately looking a great entry, best get my booties on with mt own.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 79 16-01-2007 , 07:05 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by goksimaster
I don't like the snakes you should fined some reference.
And shirnk them they are to fat. The more snake you add the better

1) There is no need to model the snakes to a photo-like finnish as you`ll never see them in that great detail. Also yet to step into zbrush to add any form of detail.

Originally posted by tweetytunes
think i`m going to get everything built then wory about the finner detail

2) I did use photo reference
https://snakessask.tripod.com/sitebui...tlesnakec1.jpg
The snake on top of her head is in the same pose as this pic (well almost had to change the angle of the end to get in her head)

3) No they are not too fat (have you seen the size of rattle snakes) and many = not good .it makes her looks silly.
At the moment there are 10 snakes which will = 20 thing coming out of her head (don`t forget about the tails I`m planning to have coming out the back of the head).

There is also the prize to think about here aswell. Any thinner and they may not come out.

Originally posted by
j5ive

The tip of the tail looks off (the rattle)

Yer it is off but I was working off these images
https://www.pueblozoo.org/archives/ma...es/rattles.jpg
https://www.snakeguys.com/Pages/Rattl...nusTailDOR.jpg

but was not liking the results - a redue was on the table. I cut it down to 4 sections as it was starting to look too long, but it did not help. To be honest I forgot it was in the scene until you said about it. Thx anywway mate and yerr get moving.

# 80 16-01-2007 , 10:30 AM
Subscriber
We got maya 8.5 today (ooh lucky me) so progress will be slowed right down this week due to my boss wanting me to get to grips with ncloth to see if we can ditch syflex

(who are causeing us some problems with getting a maya 8 licance, which will now be out of date).

With alot of time to spare in this challange I`m glad the timing of this is now not later.

I think I need a break anyway speanding about 3/4 hours a day on it so far.

C u guys soon.

# 81 28-01-2007 , 11:21 PM
Subscriber

i`m back

well i`m back on this now. been getting somewhere if ncloth but I still like syflex better.

Right hole load of problems now. Spent 2 days watching gnomon videos on zbrush just to find out

1) I`m not that good at it
2) Your models have to be uv mapped.

Bugger. so of I went to uv map my lovely medusa and bang this keeps happioning.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/neils...07/Jan29_4.jpg

I know its not maya as I have tried many different models -they all work fine. So I exported it out as mb,ma and obj files and still no luck. any ideas ??

Anyway not to be put of by that I went back to a very early modle and started on my new idea for the armor. It based of the old teela figure from He-man with a couple of redisgned bits on it.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/neils...07/Jan29_1.jpg

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/neils...07/Jan29_2.jpg

still early stages at mo. cut the top out of I can have snakes coming out aswell as from the sides.

as you can also see i now have added a ear

aslo redid the main body so it had more detail

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/neils...07/Jan29_3.jpg

Last edited by tweetytunes; 28-01-2007 at 11:25 PM.
# 82 29-01-2007 , 07:59 AM
Try opening a new scene and then importing the old one into it, that might work.

As for Z brush I didnt thing that you had to uv map it, I'm sure that that was posted on Zbrush central, also if its just for sculpting just apply an auto map to it in maya.

on another note, Z has some decent uv mapping tools in it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 83 29-01-2007 , 08:07 AM
Subscriber
Yeah you don't HAVE to uv map it for zbrush, it's only if you are planning on texturing it as Z will make your mesh so dense it will take forever to layout the uvs from scratch. Nice progress!

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 84 29-01-2007 , 08:25 AM
For manipulating geometry and even creating disp/normal maps in Zbrush, well laid out UVs shouldn't be a problem or am i wrong? You could have just done a quick auto UV or use Zbrushes AutoGUV tiles feature which nicely puts every polygon in a neat grid.

# 85 29-01-2007 , 11:34 AM
hey tweetytunes - the new armor is looking very cool and I like the fact that both the snake and medusa head both have crazy neon eyes - good work!
user added image
My one small crit would be that I think the mouth of the snake head should come out just a little bit further from the forehead just cos I think it would make the it look more snakelike and a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

# 86 29-01-2007 , 01:14 PM
I have no crits, it looks awesome!! And I like the ear. Well done user added image

# 87 30-01-2007 , 12:58 AM
19 year Veteran
Hmmm, the He-Man refference just isn't doing her justice in my opinion. She is allready a half snake, why put a snake head-piece on her? I like your earlier vesrion better. You can still get away with doing snake hair for her with no worries about the 3D model breaking the snake heads when taking it out of the mold.

I think the snake hair adds more sex appeal to her without taking away from her deadliness. I did a quick concept to show you what I mean.

Attached Images

Last edited by THX1138; 30-01-2007 at 01:00 AM.
# 88 01-02-2007 , 02:35 AM
A whole head, just to show him, what you mean? Not too much work? But it looks good user added image

# 89 01-02-2007 , 11:58 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by SpaceGoat
You could have just done a quick auto UV or use Zbrushes AutoGUV tiles feature which nicely puts every polygon in a neat grid.

hay thx man that did the job. the model had no uv information on it and thats way it kept crashing maya. useing the autoguv also aload me to get it back into maya as well. Also thx to the other for the zbrush replys.

every video i have watched on zbrush has told me uv maps r the key - still does not make me any good at it

Originally posted by THX1138
Hmmm, the He-Man refference just isn't doing her justice in my opinion with on. She is allready a half snake, why put a snake head-piece on her? I like your earlier vesrion better..

you know what man you r right. At first I thought nar this dude is wrong, but trying to put cloths on her is when I start to lose the interest in this model.
I went back and watched parts of clask of the titans again and she had no cloths on so I`m stripping her off.

Also Thx for taking the time to make the image 4 me.
just one problem with it - the hairs going back, snakes need to go forward.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/neils.../1st_feb_2.jpg

Any way added more details to the snakes and added afew more on top aswell still need to add teeth and eyes (but worried about the teeth being too thin). got the bow made (I know it has a string and it maybe to thin - I`ll remove it if I win - just looks cool at mo.) Need to redue the rattle and the tails coming out the back of head.
Also learning zbrush by doing afew tuts - thats why progress has been slow, but hoping that it will pay off.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/neils.../1st_feb_1.jpg

anyone think the bows too big ???
(also it has been just ruffly placed in scene not final)

Last edited by tweetytunes; 01-02-2007 at 12:07 PM.
# 90 01-02-2007 , 10:21 PM
19 year Veteran

Originally posted by Mr. Terminator:A whole head, just to show him, what you mean? Not too much work? But it looks good

Thats an old head. Made it a couple of years ago. I just use it to test stuff on when needed. I only added the snake like hair to it.

Originally posted by tweetytunes:you know what man, your right. At first I thought; nah, this dude is wrong, but trying to put cloths on her is when I started to lose the interest in this model.

Also Thx for taking the time to make the image 4 me.
just one problem with it - the hairs going back, snakes need to go forward.

No problem tweet. user added image

Yeah, snake hair should look wild. You have a very valid point. I was just showing one way you could do it to prevent ( if you should win ) the small fragil snake heads from breaking in the models removel process from the mold.