Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 16-05-2007 , 12:48 PM

Maya or Max?

I was wondering, what are the ups and downs of Maya vs. Max.
Does anyone know if one is better than the other? Or are there certain things in each program that are good?

# 2 16-05-2007 , 01:42 PM
Subscriber
253 posts and asking this question... wow. not bad.

there are tons of threads on the net. use the search function in this forum or just google it. but in the end it depends on you what your workflow is... and after learning the foundation of modeling, texturing and so on, learning another package is easy.

the short summary of what you will read and yeah some tools are better in one package than the other.

# 3 16-05-2007 , 08:48 PM
Am also wondering the same Q that bobalie has asked. I have learnt both Maya n Max as basics and bit advanced (in Nepal, we can't get advanced Maya n not so advanced Max Courses). So i really wonder if sb would point out the ads and dis-ads of these two software giants. btw, i like working in Maya and am really comfortable with it. Also some one from a reputed 3d Animation Studio(**) in hollywood had visited our 2d Animation Studio some 4/5 months back and had told us that 3DS Max company is about to be collapsed n no further updates and upgrades will be released. Likewise, the version 9 of 3DS Max was an autodesk presentation. So does this mean 3DS Max will no longer exist in near future???
Would really be thankful to receive the answers to these Qs of mine. Also Hats off to all the young maya achievers out there...

one of the proud 'Maya'-ian

# 4 17-05-2007 , 03:42 AM
Lets not get bogged down with this old question again.

end of the day theres ups and downs to both apps, its up to you what you decide to do.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 17-05-2007 , 12:19 PM
alright, alright. I was just curios :O
also, BadG3r, were you sarcastic, like omg bobalie asked the question again?

and thats 260 posts buddy user added image

# 6 17-05-2007 , 01:02 PM
Acid44
from what i hear max is more for game mod from an unprofessional standpoint and maya is more all around but thats just because theres more plugins available for max than maya when it comes to game moddinguser added image

# 7 17-05-2007 , 01:58 PM
cool thanks. I think I'll stick to Maya

# 8 18-05-2007 , 07:31 AM
Subscriber
i know iknow the question is inside of us, because we all don't wanna start with one package and then switch to the other. what a waste of time

BUT

with the big production houses its film and animation maya. games max. but there are changes. xsi is pushing on the games sector. some firms change to maya due to ps3 releases. in the movie industrie they change what ever suits best to the task at the moment or whats cheap enough.

more and more are using blender. not because its that good/better. no, because its for free.
little math: 20 maya licenses * 7000$ = 140000$
20 blender licenses * 0$ = 0$
(please guys dont do "no one wozuld ever" and "i don't think so", cause i was just exaggerating)

its not always that easy but its like compositing software. who the hell needs after effects (besides motion graphics) if you could stick to shake, fusion or nuke. ok shake is rihgt now very cheap to get. but mostly its a question of money.

all the other things (the ups and downs) you can see over, cause the principles of modelling, lighting, texturing, rigging, .... are fundemental. you just have to learn to apply them. you can ride a bicycle on every bike you want. but some are better offroad, some in the city.

and yeah, i was sarcastic. user added image

greetings

user added image

Badger

# 9 18-05-2007 , 12:15 PM
i also think i'll stick to Maya.

about the little math that u did Badg3r, we people at Nepal aren't fortunate enough to do that-- u know why?? we don't get to buy the maya licenses or blender licenses or in fact any softwares... so we don't have to worry about the cost on softwares.. R WE LUCKY OR UNLUCKY?????

anyways, thanks a lot to u guys n u Badg3r

# 10 09-06-2007 , 01:41 PM
Subscriber
Its funny how, you ask that question in a Maya community :p

As for the question, i agree with gster ... at the end of the day, its up to you to decide for yourself.

PS. I hope i don't have to move to MAX if i intent to do a Multimedia course next semester user added image

# 11 09-06-2007 , 07:53 PM
Subscriber
Hey Marlon, what multimedia course are you doing?
also, to stay on topic i agree with the above posts about them having the same principle way of working, just some are easier to use than others.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 12 10-06-2007 , 03:59 PM
If you do use Max marlonjohn, just get a space navigator at around £35 (dont know the US or Aussie conversion). Once configured you can navigate around both maya and max without having to learn to use all the different view controls again. Very handy for overcoming one of the differences.
The only other main hurdle is the menu system on the far right in Max. It's very cumbersome unless you have multiple monitors but once you get used to how it works its really not too bad.

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 13 11-06-2007 , 12:47 AM
Subscriber

# 14 05-07-2007 , 11:18 AM
hey guys:bow: ,,,,,,,,,its very unproffessional to say that max is better than maya,,,or maya is better than max,,,,,,,both have their advantages,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,max is more used in games industry and for architectural visualisation,,,,,90 percent of 3d packaage used in games industry is 3 d s max,,,,,,,max has biped system,,,,,maya has not,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maya,s NURBS are more smooth,,its very helpful for character desin,,,,,hair and cloth are also very dynamic and advanced in maya,,,,,,,,,,I think both the packages have their advantages,,,,,,,,,it depends on the work that you are doing,,,,,,,user added image