Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 19-08-2008 , 05:28 PM
honestly you guys shouldn't worry about a poly count... you're just making one model and when you start counting polys you skip out on details and such and then how are you supposed to compete? just the texturing?

I WANNA SEE SOME BAD ASSED SHIT! =P

Accept no substitutions.
# 17 19-08-2008 , 06:25 PM
Subscriber
oh i'm just watching the polycount for the hell of it :p

and i just realised the wheel next to the cog is meant to be facing the other way...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 18 19-08-2008 , 09:07 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Nice to see some more work on this.

Chirone, your tank is coming together nicely. I hate using booleans. For the wheel I would have just created a sphere, chop it in half. scaled it in, then extrude the outer edge out then back.

looking forward to more.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 19 20-08-2008 , 04:26 AM
Subscriber
yeah, i guess extrusion would have involved less thinking

would have had to extrude the entire surface though, since it is round on the other side too

maybe i'll try that

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 20 01-09-2008 , 10:37 AM
Subscriber
hohum...

amoeba where's your stuff??

heres another hour or two on this (lost track of time).... spent some time wondering what i wanted to do... so much detail on the tank i dont know where to start

did a bit more work on the wheels, and also did stuff to the turret and the thing it sits on

Attached Thumbnails

# 21 01-09-2008 , 10:42 AM
Subscriber
restarted the turret but started it as a plane this time

hmm... looking at the front image plane i might have to rethink it or just add more edges

Attached Thumbnails

# 22 01-09-2008 , 06:31 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Looks good. I like the detailing.

yeah, it can be hard to decide how far to go with the details.. Some times you can loose your mind trying to model every little bolt... trust me... On my Humber scout model. I went so far as to model the threading on my bolts :hug:

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 23 01-09-2008 , 10:28 PM
Subscriber
i was thinking i'd just make normal maps for all the little bits and pieces based on what i saw in mike's game texturing tutorial, but then i thought if i did it that way i'd still have to put on the detail myself....

the little bolts/domes/whatever aren't attached to the wheels yet because that would involve thinking... user added image

# 24 02-09-2008 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
had some issues with triangles and pentagons

but heres another update

the wheels look so out of place :p

Attached Thumbnails

# 25 02-09-2008 , 03:20 AM
Hey, got stuff there!

I haven't done much of a big update yet, and really have to apologize for that. user added image
Me and 2 friends have been busy on the TVNZ web challenge, a competition of, well, building a great website... :p

I'll get a catch-up update in the weekend. Promised.

W.I.P's
-
Finished work
Mech
# 26 02-09-2008 , 03:27 AM
Subscriber
TVNZ webchallenge..... hmmm

i think i entered that when i was in high school too

we almost won too

i had responsibility for the flash

aah... the good ol' days when i knew nothing about anything i was doing... user added image

# 27 02-09-2008 , 05:17 AM
^Haha...thats quiet funny!
I've got responsibility for all the flash related stuff, and some for the layout/graphics used on the webpage. user added image

Not to mention that it is a "Flash 8 for dummies" website...
What was the one you did way back about?

W.I.P's
-
Finished work
Mech
# 28 02-09-2008 , 05:27 AM
Subscriber
it was about vision
how your eyes work and it talked about things like myopia and hyperopia (short and long sightedness)

hmm... my friend has corrected me, it was for netguide

details... i dont remember, just that i was involved in some competition to make an educational webpage

we had a flash intro and flash demonstration of how the eye sees things and how floaters affect the eyes (the little long clear protein things you sometimes see)

it had css and java script, and such things were relatively new i think... we could change the font size and had a questionaire form with a prize of a large image :attn:

this was when i was 6th form

# 29 03-09-2008 , 12:00 AM
Nice challenge guys. As it was already said, I also say forget about poly count (unless you have a really, really crappy computer). You're doing a single model for a competition, not for a game, so I wouldn't worry about poly count as it will just slow you down...because you will constantly be trying to keep it low. And that will only make your model less detailed in the end.

Chirone, you have a really good start on your model. Keep up the good work.

amoeba, you have some catching up to do, but I'm looking forward to seeing some real progress from you. And I hope you do well with your web competition.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 30 20-09-2008 , 01:57 AM
Subscriber
bwaahahahahaa!

looks like i fully underestimated my ability to do 16+ tasks in a short time... i feel so ashamed...

i propose we extend this to 24th of october...