Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 22-01-2009 , 09:14 PM

trouble with edges

I can seem to figure out how to get rid of sharp, pinched places in my models. I'm pretty sure this has something to do with edges, because they occur where I combine polygons, or bridge polys, or create polys to fill gaps.

I am using maya 2009, I am very experienced with Lightwave, but I am completely new to Maya.

Thanks,
jk

# 2 22-01-2009 , 10:41 PM
Super Moderator
Do the pinched areas show up when you smooth? Because it could be that those edges/verts aren't merged. A screengrab would help.

- Genny
# 3 23-01-2009 , 01:33 PM
Thanks for the reply. I can only see the edges when I smooth the model. I've tried merging the verticies and edges. Although I am a little confused about merging edges... I've used the tool on the offending edges, but it tends to tell me I need to select more than one edge and doesn't help. Maybe I'm using it wrong. Here are some pics of the edges I am having trouble with.

Thanks,
jk

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 23-01-2009 , 01:34 PM
problem edges...:headbang:

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 23-01-2009 , 05:47 PM
it looks like you still need to merge verts before smoothing - try increasing the distance in your options. you may also want to play with the soften / harden normals tool. user added image

# 6 23-01-2009 , 06:31 PM
It appears that the vertices are fine... try to soften the edges before you smooth the mash (Normals>Soften Edge). That should do it...
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 7 27-01-2009 , 01:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, but still no solutions.

I incrreased the merge threshold incrementally until the polys started to collapse, to no avail.

The soften edge tool reduced the length of the creases, but did not eliminate them.

This is very puzzling to me. It is very easy for me to recreate the effect. I need only to use the bridge tool a few times and it happens. It is hard to believe no one else is having this problem. Any more ideas of how I can avoid this would be great.

Thanks

# 8 27-01-2009 , 01:23 PM
I tried deleting the offending edges in order to rebuild them again, and Maya won't let me. It says they are border edges. I checked and all the edges I am having trouble with are also border edges. How do I get rid or them, or change them to a normal edge?

thanks

# 9 27-01-2009 , 01:55 PM
I keep finding "solutions" to the border edge phenom around this site. None have worked for me yet. I checked the normals visually, and they look fine to me. I've softened, hardened, merged, bridged, and created polys to fill the holes. I just keep making more border edges instead of getting rid of them. This is seriously wack! I'm attaching the file I'm currently working with in case it helps. The jaw is where the issues are.

thanks

Attached Files
File Type: mb grunt.mb (123.7 KB, 166 views)
# 10 27-01-2009 , 02:55 PM
Subscriber
Dr.Polygon, I worked with what you had and could not find a problem. But I started deleting faces in the area where you are having the problem and used the Append Tool to do the faces again. I found that seemed to solve the problem. I just did one side. Here is what it looks like now. And I will attach the file I have worked with.

Hope it helps!!

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 11 27-01-2009 , 02:56 PM
Subscriber
And here is the file. I saved it as a .ma in case you aren't using 2009.

Attached Files
File Type: ma grunge ma.ma (202.0 KB, 149 views)

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 12 27-01-2009 , 04:33 PM
:attn:

That totally worked. The append tool is my new best friend.

I have a follow up question for you, though. I know this is a total newb question, but how did you transform the model into a smooth mesh like that? Is it a proxy?

Thanks

# 13 27-01-2009 , 06:57 PM
Subscriber
Dr Polygon I am glad it helped!!! The preview is in Maya 2009 and you just press the number 3 key to get that preview. A real nice feature I think. And to return to low poly preview press number 1.

# 14 27-01-2009 , 08:15 PM
The Nurb Herd
you should save your files as .ma so you can use them on other versions of maya. user added image

the verts may not have merged if they have/had opposite normals...

# 15 27-01-2009 , 08:34 PM
Subscriber
Checked all of the verts and they were merged. And I found no reversed faces. Not sure what caused his problem.

And fully agree about saing it as a .ma