Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-10-2010 , 10:06 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

air balloon

hey everyone decided to post some projects that im working on for a client
so basically i am doing pitch presentation and i need to come up with a couple of stills and animations

so here is the basic backplate and texture

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-10-2010 , 10:10 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
and heres a quick render

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 24-10-2010 , 10:38 AM
The thin red line
Looking nice, could do with a little blur on it.................dave

# 4 24-10-2010 , 10:41 AM
Lifetime Member
I agree with dave...looks good but the balloon, in particular the basket looks a little too sharp mate.

cheers bullet

Edit : maybe too bright too mate...contrast looks too good compared to the background.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 24-10-2010 , 11:04 AM
Subscriber
Maybe place the ballon a little diffrent. It looks a bit odd with the top of the balloon at the same level as the horizion.

# 6 24-10-2010 , 11:44 AM
Subscriber
Whats the animation going to be Murambi?

# 7 24-10-2010 , 12:09 PM
Lifetime Member
First up, look at some balloon references, your balloon is too squat. Look here for some reference images.

The basket is also a bit too small.

Bristol Balloon Fiesta

Hope these help.

# 8 24-10-2010 , 01:43 PM
Make occlusion map... or i just don't see it. : )

# 9 24-10-2010 , 04:52 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

I agree with dave...looks good but the balloon, in particular the basket looks a little too sharp mate.

i agree but i didnt want to add blur to it as it would increase my render time maybe ill add it in post

First up, look at some balloon references, your balloon is too squat. Look here for some reference images. The basket is also a bit too small.

the moment i posted it i realized the envelop looked weird i just needed some fresh eyes ill remodel the envelop but i dont think ill be changing the basket size

Whats the animation going to be Murambi?

dont know yet but its supposed to be floating around in some famous areas

Make occlusion map... or i just don't see it. : )

ill do that last

# 10 25-10-2010 , 12:13 AM
The Nurb Herd
the lighting looks blown out and the material on the balloon just looks like a simple blinn. you could try adding some noise like a bump map or something. Also the specular highlight doesnt seem to effect the logo.

are you thinking of doing some cloth to make it ripple a bit? do they ripple in the wind? i'm not sure.

also are you rendering in linear? the backplate looks a lot brighter in the second image. Whats with the crazy resolution size btw?

# 11 26-10-2010 , 07:22 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

the lighting looks blown out and the material on the balloon just looks like a simple blinn. you could try adding some noise like a bump map or something. Also the specular highlight doesnt seem to effect the logo. are you thinking of doing some cloth to make it ripple a bit? do they ripple in the wind? i'm not sure. also are you rendering in linear? the backplate looks a lot brighter in the second image. Whats with the crazy resolution size btw?

this was a basic texture test i tried using a bump map but apparently its not visible at that distance

From my reference videos balloons dont look like i need to be using cloth simulations

The high resolution is for a projector