Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 17-01-2011 , 04:49 AM
Ironegg

converting Nurbs To Polys

How come whenever I convert nurbs to polys my move-tool (or any tool for that matter) becomes centered around the origin rather than the object I just converted? Also, after I convert the object, the Nurb-'version' is still underneath the polys-'version'.

Thanks!

~Nick

# 2 17-01-2011 , 06:26 AM
EduSciVis-er
To re-center your pivot point, just go Modify > Center Pivot.
As for the NURBS object still being around... yes it is, but you can always delete history on the poly object and then delete the NURBS object.

# 3 17-01-2011 , 09:13 AM
Ironegg
oh awesome. Thanks bro!

# 4 17-01-2011 , 12:04 PM
Lifetime Member
You can also leave the NURB geo there whilst you do other things...if you alter the NURB geo it will alter the poly as you do it...you can do some funky stuff.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 17-01-2011 , 07:50 PM
Ironegg
Oh really? What about visa-versa? Like if I model the Poly geo, will it model the NURB simultaneously as well?

Judging by how I've already modeled with the Poly and the NURB hasnt changed I guess not. But I was curious to see if there is a setting for that.

~Thanks for the insight!

# 6 17-01-2011 , 07:53 PM
EduSciVis-er
No... for one, NURBs geometry is pretty particular (e.g. each patch must have exactly four sides), and in this case, the flow of information is from the NURBS to the poly. That's why there is history attached to the poly object. Its shape is dependent on the NURBS shape. If you want to disconnect that flow of information, you must delete the history on the poly object. This is a pretty fundamental part of how Maya functions at a base level.

# 7 17-01-2011 , 10:11 PM
Ironegg
Wow, I never knew thats how it functioned (to some degree). But thank you- thats good to know. Kinda explains why some things were the way they were in past projects.

# 8 18-01-2011 , 12:34 AM
The local axis pops to the origin because the newly created polygon surface is considered a new object and the local axis origin of all new objects is the global origin (0,0,0).

There used to be an option to delete the nurbs geometry a long time ago. What you do now is just delete it manually afterwards. If you want to keep the nurbs geometry around just remember is will have history on it attached to the new poly surface so be careful.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 18-01-2011 at 12:39 AM.
# 9 18-01-2011 , 01:44 AM
Ironegg
I guess logically that makes sense, but it seems less efficient. Not that its THAT big of a hassle but ehh.

And yeah, Kurt mentions not to forget deleting history. Before I knew about the history a geo could, I used to let it build WAY too much. Caused a bit of lag. At this point I dont know too much about what I can do with modeling a NURB and Poly simultaneously so I tend to delete them.

But I'm curious to see some of the "funky" stuff that can be done with it!

Thanks All!