Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-02-2003 , 08:19 PM

Basic Human Form help

Bah... I am working the Basic Human form tutorial from here, and as far as I know I am following everything fine. I create a Poligon Primitive cube. Then modified by converting poly to subdivs. And then extruded the face like in the tutorial but when I get to the section where I extrude my shoulders chest and button area I all comes out all goofy looking:

Original:
user added image
My Monster user added image:
user added image

I am using Maya 4.5 and again I beleive I am following the video step by step.

# 2 22-02-2003 , 08:22 PM
Weeeeeee n00b mistake just saw the simplymaya tut questions forum so if someone can move it there would be cool user added image sorry

# 3 22-02-2003 , 08:37 PM
I had that same exact problem. It looked exactly like that for me also.. i even tried to do the tutorial over and over again like 4 times and i couldnt figure out what i was doing wrong. I eventually gave up and moved on.

# 4 22-02-2003 , 09:22 PM
Subscriber
Don't know exactly how the tutorial goes, but try something like this. I have included an image for illistrations.

1) Here is your model.
2) select these faces (the main torso faces)...
3) and scale them out with the scale tool. This should give you a thicker chest.
4) select these faces.....
5) and extrude them outward.

# 5 22-02-2003 , 09:28 PM
Subscriber
You were extruding the selected faces in image 2. You just need to scale them.

# 6 22-02-2003 , 11:36 PM
Ah thats what it was... I swear I tough I was supposed to extrude them. Thanks...

# 7 23-02-2003 , 02:54 AM
^^ yeah me to ^^

# 8 23-02-2003 , 04:01 AM
Subscriber
Heh, yea you COULD of extruded them.. just you would have to put on.. "keep faces together".. which is a simple option.

HOTBOX > Polygons>tool options>Keep faces together

Now when you extrude, all those faces should stay together user added image. But yea, i took that tutorial and its not extrude... its just to pull them... if it was to extrude, this would work as well, i think.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com

Last edited by M; 23-02-2003 at 04:03 AM.