Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-09-2008 , 07:20 AM
Subscriber

maya question about modeling

hey,i just started a tutorial and i just saw that his maya was having modeling section(animation,polygone,surface are exemple of section that im talking about)...i dont seem to have any modeling option on mine...im very new to maya and im using the newest version...Someone can tell me how to set it on modeling or what could be the same thing on the newest version pls?

# 2 07-09-2008 , 07:46 AM
Lifetime Member
The modelling menu was split up into two menus in later versions of Maya.The polygons menu set contains all things to do with polygons and the Surfaces menu contains all the tools for Nurbs and Subdivisional surfaces.

The Polygon menu was renamed Mesh

The Edit Polygon menu was renamed Edit Mesh

You can't change the menus back to the older layout but all the old tools still exist in one of these menus and you can create a custom menue set if you want by selecting custom at the bottom of the menu list.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 07-09-2008 , 07:58 AM
Subscriber
ok thank you for this fast anwser,im trying right now to do the interior tutorial(livingroom)...i know it s for intermadiate user but my goal with maya is to learn how to model and render real life house interior and well this is mostly the only one tutorial i found so far.But the thing is,i dont know who made this tuts but he dont explain much why we doing this,why we dont do it this way and all that stuff.So far it seem to be just explaining how to reproduce what hes doing and thats it.I dont even understand the image part at start becuse of lack of explanation,he dont explain he mostly just do it.And its hard to follow him becuse he dont even give numbers or position,he goes by random.Even sometime he s about to do wrong things and so he go back and forth,seriously im pretty disapointed of this video so far.

Never though maya would be easy to learn at all but by buying this dvd i though he would explain and realy teach us how to do it not just showing us how to do it...

Maybe im too slow i dont know but im trying my best to follow what he s doing and sometime i think there lot of information missing...and personnaly,a good tuts dvd sold at this price could give moore professionnal helps...simply as exact numbers and stuff like that...

# 4 07-09-2008 , 08:17 AM
Subscriber
Seriously not too long time ago ive started to learn photoshop,i did many free tutorials and i never been lost like this...To be honnest i never been that lost in a tutorial in all my life.

# 5 07-09-2008 , 10:00 AM
Lifetime Member
Maya has a very steep learning curve and as the tutorial stated it is really for intermediate users which means he really expects you to know your way around the GUI .
I would recommend you start to learn Maya firstly by hitting F1 on the keyboard and doing the tutorials that come with Maya in the help files, this will give you a reasonable understanding of the GUI and then the DVD might not seem so alien to you.

If you have any questions relating to Maya please don't be shy to ask, we are happy to help here.

regards John.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 07-09-2008 at 10:26 AM.
# 6 07-09-2008 , 10:21 AM
Subscriber
Ok,thank you for this advice i think i wont have other choice then start with that first then...But by pressing f1 maya web support web page show up but there no video here...

Last edited by punk_111; 07-09-2008 at 10:24 AM.
# 7 07-09-2008 , 10:38 AM
Subscriber
If you go under Help pull down menu. There is one for Tutorials.
You can download the pdf tutorial. I'm currently doing the same thing. I opened the pdf and maya and just jumping back and forth to try what they are talking about.

# 8 07-09-2008 , 02:44 PM
Subscriber
another question for someone that have free time to anwser...there is a way to have the camera unlocked to zoom directly into object insted of just zooming and moving around a loocked position?...i dont know if i explain it right but well if someone understand and can help me on it,it would be nice.Ty

# 9 07-09-2008 , 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Select the object and hit the 'f' key, that will 'frame' the selected object(s).

- Genny
# 10 07-09-2008 , 03:04 PM
Subscriber
thank you very much i will try right now...in the dvd when he extrude the wall,first of all in the new version of maya the option box of face extruder is lot moore simple and when i do extrude the same way as he does i dont get the (up,down,side face filled up),what i mean is it instead of doing what he does its simply seam to do a copy of my first wall....someone have any idea of what im doing wrong ?

Last edited by punk_111; 07-09-2008 at 03:10 PM.
# 11 07-09-2008 , 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Post a screen shot.

- Genny
# 12 07-09-2008 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
i think i just got it by mistake i will try over and over to see if i get it on my own ty...i dont even know how to do screenshot atm...well screen shot inside maya i dont know yet.

but btw this f key is freaking usefull...helps a lot thank you

...yeah couple min after i got it finaly...just copied the wall couple of time to make sure in case i make error i can start over...even though i know i can undo/redo but sometime when u do to much action u cant go back enought...but ty for help user added image

Have to say that this program is soooooo great.

Last edited by punk_111; 07-09-2008 at 03:29 PM.
# 13 07-09-2008 , 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
The print screen key is does the same thing globally in Windows, if you're using a Mac then well..there was a thread on this not that long ago. Happy Modeling.

- Genny
# 14 09-09-2008 , 07:07 AM
Subscriber
ok