Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-07-2011 , 07:35 AM
Subscriber

Human male

Hello All!

I just got back from an extended work trip and wanted to both say hello and get back into organic modelling.

I'm getting better at making humans, but nowhere near where I want to be. So I'm going though all four Creating digital human exercises from Digital Tutors (again) to both practice and build up confidence to hopefully remove the crutches of having to look at a tutorial every seven seconds because I feel like I've irrevocably messed up my mesh.

Attached Thumbnails

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 2 22-07-2011 , 07:42 AM
Subscriber
Also since here is as good as anyplace while I was gone I wasn't entirely idle. I've been playing with toon shading and working with photoshop to do post effects to enhance the toon shading.

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 22-07-2011 , 09:00 AM
The thin red line
Good to see you back and doing organics, I think that some of the toon and contour shaders are over looked good to see some one putting them to good use...........dave

Last edited by daverave; 22-07-2011 at 11:09 AM.
# 4 22-07-2011 , 11:01 AM
Lifetime Member
Good to see you back mate.....hope they didnt overwork you? nice pics man...Im not a fan of toon style but you have seemed to capture it!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 23-07-2011 , 07:30 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the warm welcome back guys! Nah they didn't work me too hard even though the days were long. One of those time flies and I'm having fun type work trips.

I found some awesome tutorials by a man named Christoph Desse (hope I spelled that right) where his results looked too good to not try and learn how he did it.

Bullet: I'm kind of on the fence about toon shading but quickly becoming a convert. Especially with my skill level toon shading helps cover up the fact that the models aren't really all that great. As I get better with organics I can see myself leaning towards more photoreal.

# 6 23-07-2011 , 07:50 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL furry muff mate.......Imnot a big fan of it...some situations maybe its suited...not for me though.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 25-07-2011 , 07:01 AM
Subscriber
Just a quick update for the end of my weekend. I figure I'm going to post the results after roughly every 10 sections of the lesson. The first set of lessons is over just getting the basics down and fleshed out. Which is good because I'm slowly finding out that only the basics is about as far as I ever get and why I can't get the results I want to get.

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 25-07-2011 , 12:36 PM
The thin red line
Looks like you are getting to grips with organics, looking good ..........dave

# 9 27-07-2011 , 05:48 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Dave!

Another quick update as I've reached a good posting point with getting the hands arm area done.

EDIT: Much better now! Thanks Bullet user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by CGWolfgang; 28-07-2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Just reuploading pictures after taking Bullet's advice
# 10 27-07-2011 , 07:05 AM
Lifetime Member
too hard to see CG....if you want use a physical sun...go to its light attributes and go to the multiplier in the mia_physicalsky1 and turn it down to 0.35 or up to 0.5 through mental ray...this will give a reasonable look. I played with the intensity but it didnt seem to change anything. Otherwise use the 3 point light system....looking good of what I can see mate.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 11 29-07-2011 , 06:40 AM
Subscriber
Another quick update. For this block of lessons the head is done except for the ears which I'm about to start on. Also did the pectoral muscles although when I get to the definition and detailing portion I'm hoping it will cover solidifying the look of the underlying muscle structure.

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 29-07-2011 , 08:18 AM
Lifetime Member
Thats a lot better I can see it without my Polaroid Sunnies now mate...LOL...looking good man

bullet1968

# 13 29-07-2011 , 10:07 PM
The thin red line
Looks good to me, keep it up.............dave

# 14 30-07-2011 , 06:12 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the positive support Dave Rave!

I'm looking to take this character all the way from Base/to detailing/ Mapping/ to texturing as well as rigging and using him for learning animation so this project is going to be a long process. This guy is a character concept I've been playing around with for some time tentatively named Darian Raven.

I have a couple of questions for the board members (sort of a look and plan ahead)

Since the characters head is attached to the whole body, when I start doing blendshapes for the head do I have to copy the entire body or can I duplicate the character then delete all but the head and reshape it to do the blendshape?

Does anyone know of any good tutorials for hand painting textures in photoshop for skin. (I currently don't have enough skin texture references to make a photoreal version yet)

Finally when it comes to using motionbuilder do you have to complete the rig and bind and paint weights before you import it in?

Any info to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the positive feedback! user added image

# 15 31-07-2011 , 09:55 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Looks good so far.

If I could give you a small nugget of advice it would be to use the lighting to your advantage for the modelling phase - try using a spotlight of directional to check for imperfections. the model from what I can see through the washout looks okay but at this stage treat it as a model in progress, that whole environment light is a real waste of time - are they doing that on the d****** t***** exercise itself??

I think Ill have to get a tute of this type done for the site at some stage - thats not from someone else's site lol

keep up the good work though - and a wire of two to see what the deal is there as well would be nice dude

cheers
Jay